Dead Blow Hammer

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I have a few projects coming up using various wood species (both soft & hardwoods) with lots of different joinery where I'll likely need a dead blow hammer. I've always used a regular hammer and a block of wood to project the project wood but I've always seen and wondered if a dead blow hammer would be better. Years ago I had one of those black rubber dead blow hammers and it marred (black marks) and cracked into pieces.

Would one of these types be preferred ?
1693414196601.png

Your thoughts / suggestions ?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a rubber mallet that is white. The white doesn't leave marks and doesn't damage the wood. If in doubt use a sacrificial block of some soft wood and then you can use any hammer. Downside is it takes one hand to hold the block and that may be one more than you have if you're also holding the project.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have several of these in different sizes from HF and have had only 1 issue: They will turn dark brown if left in the sun. They also have a version with a brass face on 1 side.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I have a few projects coming up using various wood species (both soft & hardwoods) with lots of different joinery where I'll likely need a dead blow hammer. I've always used a regular hammer and a block of wood to project the project wood but I've always seen and wondered if a dead blow hammer would be better. Years ago I had one of those black rubber dead blow hammers and it marred (black marks) and cracked into pieces.

Your thoughts / suggestions ?
Fun, easy project to build. I built this one years ago and it's still hammerin' away.

Attachments

• Mallet 2.jpg
    Mallet 2.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Mallet 1.jpg
    Mallet 1.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 81
  • plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 93

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also use dead blow hammers from Harbor Freight. I have a black one and it will leave a mark and both a 1 lb and a 2 lb orange one. I don't think they leave marks as readily. Any will dent wood, however. They are less likely to dent than a metal head hammer but if you swing them hard enough they leave a mark. But for nudging a chisel into it's work, they work great. They will also move pieces together during a glueup if they get a little stuck but the joint is cut correctly. They have their place.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have to say this (the orange dead-blow hammer) from Harbor Freight was one of my disappointments - mine cracked rather early on and recently "Shed it's skin!"

I just assumed it was another "not recommended" HF product, but with all the "me too's" here, I think I may need to try a second one, after all they are pretty cheap!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The HF hammers are not durable, and will crack or break if you use them on a hard item with any forcefulness. (example, do not work well for tightening a metal vise, etc) Okay for nudging a joint tight, etc and doesn't bounce back like a solid rubber hammer. Higher quality ones absorb the blow recoil better.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The HF hammers are not durable, and will crack or break if you use them on a hard item with any forcefulness. (example, do not work well for tightening a metal vise, etc) Okay for nudging a joint tight, etc and doesn't bounce back like a solid rubber hammer. Higher quality ones absorb the blow recoil better.
1693443150722.png

YUP - that was my experience...

lhmayberry

Les Mayberry
Corporate Member
I have used the orange dead blow hammers in many ways and just had a 5 lb hammer replaced by Snap-On tools because of cracking up. Smaller ones I would throw away because they were cheap.
On the other hand, using with wood projects I would use a scrap block to prevent damage.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Fun, easy project to build. I built this one years ago and it's still hammerin' away.
This one looks interesting. That leather face appears to be the least threatening for a light blow.

Over the last 40 years, I've tried all sorts of 'dead blow' hammers and didn't like any of them. That business of a regular hammer and a block of wood is my favorite for woodworking and often machinery repair. That sudden shock of a regular hammer's strike seems to always do what I want and the sacrificial block of wood is a good use of scraps.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Has anyone ever tried one of these ? Made more for chiseling but minor blows with the plastic head being interchangeable with the brass heads ? I know $80 is crazy expensive though...

1693506880438.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS