Dark spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have a 4/4 Cherry panel that I got from a friend of mine and I am using it for a top on a kitchen cabinet that we are going to use for our sons dresser - hey I got a good deal on the cabinet and the top was free - man out of work has to do with what he can - hey? Anyway - the Cherry top has some darkening on one end where it looks like it might have gotten wet:dontknow: - I have sanded it up to 220 and it is still there - anyone have any ideas on how to blend this in or get rid of it? We might not notice it after it is stained:dontknow: We are going to try to stain it as close to the cabinet as possible (Cranberry):dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try these suggestions on a piece of scrap if you have one. Wet the whole board and see if that evens the color out. Try Oxalic acid wood bleach, it might lighten the dark area to match the rest. Or test your stain and see if that helps blend it. If you use a gel stain formulation you can apply more to the lighter areas and less to the dark, hopefully minimizing the differences.
Or you could brush a light cut of de-waxed shellac over the dark areas to limit the stain uptake and keep those areas lighter.

Dave:)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You could try and draw out the water stain with a little dab of woodworking wonder chemical - Acetone. It may not work but then again it might. Just remember Acetone will also soften glue so if it's a glue up panel you might have more than one piece by the time your done.

Did I hear a bad 5 letter word "stain" in this thread? I think I did more than once :no:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have read in a lot of places that a household iron set on cotton with a sheet in between will draw moisture out. However I have never tried it.
YMMV

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I have sanded it up to 220 and it is still there -

Phillip,

What grit did you start with? 220 isn't going to cut much wood so you might want to move down to at least 120 and give it a go. My guess is the staining isn't that deep in the wood. A n a w a y, worth a try.

Mike

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
What about a 2 tone finish, maybe finish the top in a black rub through, then you don't have to worry or fuss with trying to match at all.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have sanded it up to 220 and it is still there -

Phillip,

What grit did you start with? 220 isn't going to cut much wood so you might want to move down to at least 120 and give it a go. My guess is the staining isn't that deep in the wood. A n a w a y, worth a try.

Mike

Thanks everyone for you suggestions - I will see what I can come up with - MiKe I started off with the 120 and worked my way up to the 220

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS