Cypress Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Hello all!

Just wanted to share what I have been working lately. I'm making a double mailbox post which will hold 2 mailboxes, which we will also make. This mailbox was recently finished. This one is Cypress, it's companion will be Cedar. They will rest atop a Cedar 4x4 which has a draw bore through tenon in it for holding up both these beasts. The post is complete, as well as one of the mailboxes.

Construction: joinery, nails, and titebond 3. Dovetails in the back aren't measured I just threw some lines on there and cut them. Made from Cypress 1x8s and Cedar 1x8s. The Cypress one we decided to do with a regular shape roof, on the other one we will attempt a round semicircle shape roof like your common mailbox is. We have a lot of this old barn sheet metal so I decided to use it for the roof of the first one. Will post more after we get a little further on the second mailbox.

I was thinking of finishing the mailboxes and post with Spar Urethane, if anyone has used this before, please pitch as to it's longevity.

Z6vZGLO.jpg

YBbigru.jpg

vYfk4Jv.jpg

isFiKTE.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I lived in SC one of the marks of a good mailbox was its ability to withstand a baseball bat and/or glass soft drink bottle at 30 mph. People in NC are probably more civilized.

Your first box looks great. I'm sure you second will be just as nice.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nothing keeps the door shut but it's snug fit and it stops against the white oak bar dovetailed in the sides of the box.

You think maybe I should use some small circular magnets to keep it shut?

You can also get spring loaded hinges at Lowe's or HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS