Cutting Gage Workshop - Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is a continuation of the thread danmart77 started on building a cutting gage. I decided to start a new thread to keep the 2 workshops from getting confused.

Let's try June 23 for this one, assuming we get enough participants. Here's the plan:

• We need 6 participants to hold the workshop, w/ a max of 8. Some on the list below have already indicated a preference for Liberty. Now that we have a date, please let me know if you are still interested.

• Once you indicate you are still interested please make a non-refundable donation to NCWW of at least $20 to confirm your spot no later than June 17. To make a donation, click on the green "Donate" tab in the upper left section of this page.

• There will be a materials charge to be paid directly to Dan at the workshop. The amount is uncertain at this time, but will not exceed $15.

• If you are not on the list below, but would like to participate, just post a response in this thread or send me a PM. Those already on the list will be given 1st priority.

User NameNickname

GraywolfRichard
David JusticeDavid
BertaBerta
jlimeyJeff
HmerkleHank
Jim WallaceJim
bowmanNeal
McRabbetRob
meredjJesse
Michael MathewsMichael

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5280;width:124pt" width="165"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3392;width:80pt" width="106"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can send some of my extra thumbscrews and inserts to Bill's address. Let me know if you need something else and I will send it

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
June 23rd at Bill's shop in Liberty works for me. I am away from home right now but will make a donation early this coming week to solidify my slot. Hopefully Dan will give us a recommended tool list before the workshop.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The Liberty workshop is now full. We have 8 participants. If anyone else would like to attend the Liberty workshop, I will put you on the alternates/stand-by list. Or you can choose to attend the same workshop in Raleigh on August 25.

For those 8 who have committed to Liberty, please make sure you make your donation to NCWW by June 17.

Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you on the 23rd. I'll send out directions and last minute updates a few days before the event.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Is there already a list of tools/supplies we need to or should bring?

Not yet, David. I think Dan will post a list of suggested tools shortly before the workshop. The only ones he has mentioned to me so far are:

rasps - half round
mill file to smooth the brass edges
card scraper and spoke shave is nice to have

Bring them if you have them, but don't worry if you don't. I think I've got everything you'll need.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
$30 donation made. Looking forward to the workshop.

Same here!! I did not receive an email confirmation of the donation, but I saw it hit my charge card...

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well its good to hear we have a class that's full. Great.

From the short list of tools Bill posted I would add a few tools that would be nice to have at your finger tips but not a must or bust thing.

rasps - half round
mill file to smooth the brass edges
card scraper and spoke shave is nice to have

any drill to chuck small chamfer bits to seat the brass screw heads flush with the brass surfaces.
small bits to pre drill for brass screws - they are soft and if you plan to use hickory or another hard wood you must drill

I like to use my drill/driver with a 1/4 drive for a socket 7/16 to push the inserts in. I will bring it along.

This will take care of the build with a little sharing. I'm thinking of ordering some metal cutting blades for the scroll saw that Bill has and I don't. I use the good old hacksaw and file away.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Dan what size wood stock do we need to start. I haven't seen that mentioned as of yet and I would be interested.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
So Dan what size wood stock do we need to start. I haven't seen that mentioned as of yet and I would be interested.

Wood stock sizes: I will go out to the shop today and measure and post soon. I just "eyeball" some of the stuff initially and then get tighter as I begin to fit. More to come. See address in next post

In the mean time here's some progress towards the class:
Yesterday I pulled out some sugar maple and did some head scratchin' just thinking about the easiest way to get 8 eager marking gage builders working together.

photo 1 is the block blank. the hole for the bar is done. These are all the same. Notice the adjustment insert and screw in one of the blocks?
1-mark_gage_blanks_005.JPG

photo 2 the bar cut and edged still needs the wear plate recessed. By having a long bar we can do 4-5 at one time.
1-mark_gage_blanks_009.JPG

I sent a message up to Bill and he seemed to agree, it would be easiest to build a first gage with one type of wood and do some "production runs" to the parts.

I will bring some pre-cut maple to make things move along and make sense in a way that the group can move to a couple different work stations to get things done.

photo 3 shows the wear plate for the block on the right. Needs to be recessed. By doing it this way we can still build a left or right hand block and we can still choose top or bottom for the adjusting knob.

1-mark_gage_blanks_009.JPG

If you have your heart set on making yours with a special wood bring it along and time permitting you can put it in the rotation.

Supplies now on hand:
- brass 36" x 1/2" for the bar(3ea)
- brass 36 x 1" for the block wear plate(2 ea)
- screws for the brass to bar and brass to block in brass
- inserts and knurled knobs for locking and adjusting the gage

If you would like to see the dimensions for the exact gage, I can send along the FWW mag # if you'd like?

Dan

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/12/15/a-shopmade-slicing-gauge

The above address has the gage we are building. The parts list is fairly accurate there with the exception of the wear strip on the bar.

Richard I am using some sugar maple to pre-cut some of the parts.

I am working with the notion that there will be 8 builders at the shop on Saturday morning.

Today is the last day to get the deposit in and commit to the class.

I will do the class with as few as 6 students but less than that and I will defer to a later date.

Please feel free to send along any other questions, concerns or ideas you have.

till then
Dan

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_006.JPG

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_007.JPG

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, it's all good, I was just curious about the plan of attack or process, sorry I'm a bit of mental planner. Which is both good and bad. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors