custom violin made for my niece

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
That looks great! Give us some details --- wood used? Finish? How long did it take to make that first one? Do you now have a shop full of specialized jigs for that next one?

mahogany

New User
mikek
That looks great! Give us some details --- wood used? Finish? How long did it take to make that first one? Do you now have a shop full of specialized jigs for that next one?

Thank, its actually electric violin. I worked off of a book bout at klingspor raliegh, had cut out diagram format,, its 3/8 bookmarch quilted maple on 100 yr old pine, doesn't have a back, keep wieght down. Took 3 months, I ruined first neck because I drilled through pegbox, lol. Has 6 coats purple transtint dye, and 10 coats nitro lacquer

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
How did I miss this? Wow really nice - you should be proud of your accomlishment. That is some seriously detailed woodworking.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
" first and only", famous last words.... :D

Yeah and how does the saying go again? Every violin player sucks for the first 5 years... or something like that. I just know it takes some serious dedication to get past the "I suck" phase.

My daughter and I seen the christmas story play in clarksville VA several years ago. There was this little old blue haired lady who came out with a violin during one part. That little old blue haired lady played that violin like it was an extension of her body. Just beautiful... is the only word I can think to describe how she played. Looking at my daughter crying as that little old blue haired lady played. I still to this day I get tears welled up behind my eyes thinking about how her playing touched my daughter and my heart.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So a question if you dont mind... What techniques did you use for the sculpting? I imagine rasps. chisels, scrapers, sandpaper and all points inbetween? I find myself reaching for razor blades and my hunting knife to do scraping quite frequently. Just wondering if you stuck to a regimented technique or threw the kitchen sink at that work of art?

Thanks

mahogany

New User
mikek
It also has rosewood cross inlaid in peg box,, also have purple quilt maple electric guitar same wood, Il post pics tomarrow,,, I bookmatched 2 quilt panels, bandsawed to shape to cut out diagrams from book, glued to 1/2 pine frame that I hollowed out using 3/4 fosner bit, same with neck cut out bandsaw to diagram,, used chisel for neck pocket, carved top with multitool hand sander, yes mostly bandsaw, chisels, sand paper,,

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It also has rosewood cross inlaid in peg box,, also have purple quilt maple electric guitar same wood, Il post pics tomarrow,,, I bookmatched 2 quilt panels, bandsawed to shape to cut out diagrams from book, glued to 1/2 pine frame that I hollowed out using 3/4 fosner bit, same with neck cut out bandsaw to diagram,, used chisel for neck pocket, carved top with multitool hand sander, yes mostly bandsaw, chisels, sand paper,,

Thanks... basicly how I do - But I have templates so it's bandsaw, router then a lot of scraping with anything that works (kitchen sink) did you enjoy shaping the back of the neck? it's a great opportunity to learn how to use a draw knife and rasps for the heal isn't it?

mahogany

New User
mikek
FB_20141109_14_02_52_Saved_Picture.jpg

FB_20141109_09_35_13_Saved_Picture.jpg

mahogany

New User
mikek
Shaped neck and heel rasps, files, only special tools other than oscillating sander, disc sander, belt sander,, was peghole reamer and peg shaver,, also bough fingerboard from steward macdonalds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS