Custom Router Bits?

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have a table with a 1 1/2" dowel leg that pierces the edge of the 4 1/12" thick top. We currently route the mortise with a template and a top bearing bit from top and bottom both sides. It problematic as there are 6 different steps to route the hole and the holes have to line up with each other . I am considering getting a custom router bit made that is 1/2' shank with a 3/4" radius ball cutter so that we can route the mortise from the edge of the table using a jig to steady the router. I believe that this will take the process down to two passes with the router (one to hog out the bulk of the material and the finish pass) and will eliminate any chance that the top and bottom might not line up.

I have attached some quick drawings to help illustrate what I have in mind. I can picture the bit like I've seen it before, maybe on a smaller radius? Before I look into having it made, does anybody know of a company making one? Other than the diameter of the ball, it shouldn't be any different than using a dovetail bit. Are there any other reservations I should consider?

Attachments

• eample 1.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 77
  • example.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 49
  • routerbit.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 48

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Looks like a job for a Forstner bit.

1702478839296.png

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
To paraphrase Roy Scheider's line from Jaws "You're gonna need a bigger router" if you need to do that in one or two passes. Look at an Onsrud.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Wyatt,

Would this help?

6" long 1.5" diameter forstner bit.

Use in combination with something like (or this exact item)

... the documentation does not include maximum drill bit length, but one comment indicated using a 6" drill bit with this.

Regards,

Rick

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User

Attachments

• IMG_7416.jpeg
    IMG_7416.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7413.jpeg
    IMG_7413.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52