Custom Church Doors in Concord, NC

searnhardt

New User
searnhardt
Several years ago my church had our front doors replaced. The craftsman that reconditioned our altar rail also built the doors. As pleased as we were with the Altar Rail, the doors have not held up to the weather. Are there any recommendations for someone in the Concord area to either repair and refinish our existing doors, or that can quote us on a price for new doors? Church is very old and they are definitely a custom size. I believe that they can be salvaged as long as someone is familiar with the effects of temperature and weather on an external door. Thanks in advance for any leads.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not sure about archives here, but I asked for millwork recommendations 5-8 years ago on this board and followed the recommendations (Stephenson's or something, can't recall the name). We (our church) had one made to order and installed; it works great. Not a cheap option, but it should last 75+ years like the last one.

Here's the link to the thread I mentioned.
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...s-for-entry-door-for-church-in-raleigh.61497/

We did use Stephenson's after the contractor we have used also recommended them.

Last edited:

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I was working with my dad as a carpenter we were hired to remodel/refurbish the methodist church in town. The structure was built in 1893. Part of this included building two sets of double doors -- one set at each entry. The old doors had finally given in to weather and wear.

I was privileged to work with the local cabinet maker who was hired to make these. He had learned his craft as a Seebee in the navy. We built the doors from 2-1/2" redwood (glued up from 1" stock). Each was a four-panel door, about 30" wide and 7'-8' high. A few years ago I visited the church with my son and stopped to inspect the doors. After 40 years they were still solid - a testament to the choice of redwood and how well they were constructed. Hope you all find the right persons for the project.

Phillip Mitchell

Phillip
User
I don’t do refinishing, but I’m happy to talk about details and pricing of newly built doors. The cost of refinishing could potentially pass the cost of new depending on the details...without photos and more info it’s impossible to really say, but often times new is more cost effective.

Exterior Wooden doors & millwork with clear finishes (not painted) are a subject all their own and so much depends on UV and rain/snow exposure.

Feel free to reach out to me if you like.

www.stillwaterwoodworks.com

phillip@stillwaterwoodworks.com

828-964-7105

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not sure about archives here, but I asked for millwork recommendations 5-8 years ago on this board and followed the recommendations (Stephenson's or something, can't recall the name). We (our church) had one made to order and installed; it works great. Not a cheap option, but it should last 75+ years like the last one.

Here's the link to the thread I mentioned.
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...s-for-entry-door-for-church-in-raleigh.61497/

We did use Stephenson's after the contractor we have used also recommended them.
And a detail l forgot to mention... despite really wanting a clear coated door, l was convinced by ncww to paint it. Now l'm glad l did paint it.

Henry

searnhardt

New User
searnhardt
Thanks for the replies people. I didn't abandon the post, but I was told to hold off for a few weeks so I did. Here are a few pictures of the current doors. I think that the idea would be to swap the stained glass to new doors if we do new doors. If we are just going to refinish the existing doors, they'll obviously stay. Open to suggestions, but there are definitely gaps that you can see when the wood has shrunk down in spots.

ChurchDoor_2.jpg
ChurchDoor_1.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure I'm seeing the gaps you mention. From what I can see the doors appear to be solid and structurally sound. If that's the case then refinishing is a good option. It looks like the wooden panels are held in place by a frame that's separate from the door rail/stile. Is that the case? It's an unusual construction method, but it would make removing and refinishing the panels easier.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS