Crosscut Sled

Texalinian

Texalinian
User
I would like to make a simple crosscut sled for my Skil TS6307-00 TS. I've looked at this kit on Amazon.

You Tube is chock full of sleds, and every one is the best, if you know what I mean.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Many years ago I built a behemoth sled with T-tracks and all kinds of features the magazine article said I needed. A while back I needed some T-track and decided to rob it off the sled that I had pretty much stopped using after I got a decent miter gauge.

One of these days I'll build a smaller, simpler, lighter one.

Anything of any size I can cut with a track saw.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I find my straight-forward crosscut sled with two t-tracks parallel to the blade, a couple of sliding hold-down clamps, and a stop block (a simple block of wood that I attach to the fence with a squeeze clamp) to be quite useful, especially for precision cuts of smaller pieces that don’t provide much clearance for fingers. I prefer it to a miter gauge, but it lacks the capability to cut any angle other than 90 degrees. I have other jigs for cutting other angles and tapers: I prefer a tool that does one job well to one that can do multiple things with lots of parts and in a finicky way.

I agree with Martin that a lighter sled is less hassle than a heavier one, and I too will be building a smaller sled that I’ll probably end up using 80% of the time.

In the end, I suspect that it comes down to the type of work you want to do, your personal preference, and your tolerance for storing multiple jigs.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Before you build or buy a TS sled, why not go to someone's shop and try different versions out. Then decide on what would work best in your situation.

I live just south of you in the NE corner of Randolph Co. (Liberty area) and have several different sleds I've made that you could see and test if you'd like to do that. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work out a time.

Texalinian

Texalinian
User
Before you build or buy a TS sled, why not go to someone's shop and try different versions out. Then decide on what would work best in your situation.

I live just south of you in the NE corner of Randolph Co. (Liberty area) and have several different sleds I've made that you could see and test if you'd like to do that. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work out a time.
Bill, that's very kind of you to offer. Won't be this week or next but I will be checking back to schedule a visit.

Echd

C
User
There are a million ways to solve it.

I really like this guy's and styled mine after it.

I also enjoy the way he does his youtube videos, he's funny, self-deprecating, and just a guy doing it on the side while not trying to sell you amazon affiliate links.

Here is mine:

20211121_194347.jpg

That flip stop is short (it came off my router table) but you have provisions for a flip stop for repeated cuts, a coplanar block at the front to keep heavy pieces squared up, provisions for two hold downs, and that tip about an interior bevel to increase dust extraction at the bottom of the fence is a really great idea.

Best thing to do is to make sure the fence is square though. Follow the William ng video and methodology.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I work in a barn and have rust issues. I made a sled that covers the whole top of my table saw and it stays on the saw all the time unless I am ripping. And I made it with 3/4" plywood. Big mistake.

Roy G

dpaventi

New User
dpaventi
I’m getting ready to build a cross-cut sled myself. What’s a good material to make the rails that ride in the slots on the top of the saw? I used hardwood for the last one (white oak I think), are aluminum or HDPE good alternatives?

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
You can certainly use aluminum HDPE, but don’t have to. I’ve always used hardwood - maple, white oak, poplar, etc., without issue.

Echd

C
User
Nothing wrong with hardwood. I used hdpe for mine and no issues with that either. Upside is hdpe won't move or change with temps or anything. Upside of wood is you probably already have it.

NCJim

Jim
User
I would like to make a simple crosscut sled for my Skil TS6307-00 TS. I've looked at this kit on Amazon.

You Tube is chock full of sleds, and every one is the best, if you know what I mean.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I purchased this "sled kit" a couple years back and it is a good way to get started then modify to your needs.

Texalinian

Texalinian
User
Excellent input from the forum, appreciate it. I am leaning towards giving this one a try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors