Crib Finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I have just started to build a mission style crib for my son, who will be here in about 4 weeks or less. It's poplar, and I plan on finishing it dark, maybe cherry or walnut. Can someone tell me what type of stain/finish combos would be safe? I was planning on just a stain and then poly. I'm sure there will be some biting/chewing/drooling going on in there, so I want to make sure it won't be toxic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
It's my understanding that any finish, once cured, will be fine. I used straight poly on the crib I built and it's still holding up strong 3 years later!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Brian,

I just built a crib for my son earlier this year, (that I've been too lazy to post pics of...), and I read ALOT about "kid-safe" finishes. Phillip is right, basically, once FULLY Cured, any finish is safe. If you are still concerned, shellac is technically edible, but I dount know if you'd be able to get the depth you're looking for.

For what it's worth, I built the crib out of cherry w/ a Shellac washcoat & 3 coats of Waterlox as a finish. According to the label, Waterlox is fully cured in approx. 30 days at ambient temp/ humidity levels.

30 days may seem like alot given your 4 week schedule, but keep in mind, the kid wont be sleeping in the crib for a while after birth anyway.

Good luck man, & congrats on the boy!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Hey, I came into the world and started chewing on an old varnished crib (or course I had three previous sibs who got it softened up good for me!), and it didn't hurt me...didn't hurt me...didn't hurt me...nevermind. Just a glitch in my brain that happens sometimes :gar-La;:gar-La;

I'll echo what has already been stated, but I would stay away from any finish that includes a mildew-cide, etc. As it will have a potential to be chewed on, I would go with the minimum number of coats as opposed to really building up a thick finish, as it will be easier to repair at a later date when you get ready for the next one.

Congrats on the new progeny, papa!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
A couple of weeks back I refinished a crib for my new grandson (age 10 months). I used Watco Butcher Block Oil and Finish which I got at Lowes in Southern Pines. It wipes on and the label says its safe for food contact including cutting boards, salad bowls, butcher blocks and more. 6 hours between coats with 72 hours prior to normal use. Went on easily and looked great. Good luck.

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
Looks like there are a lot of us on here for this one. Just started on one for the daughter and will keep an eye on this. Its going to be an oak cradle so I had the same finish questions. I am really worried about the little crumb-snatcher chewing on it. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS