Credit Card donations ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

I tried to donate with a credit card via PayPal and got the above failure with both a debit and credit card. What's up? or should I ask: What's down!

Joe (assuming this is the proper forum)

However, one of the transactions just showed up on the donations list!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Joe, I'm stumped. Sounds like an issue with paypal not accepting your info. Unless our paypal account is locked out again?

Andrew can easily remove the incorrectly reported transaction on our side through the donation tool.

If you don't mind, I'd suggest opening this up in the Help Desk in case others see the same issues.

I'd not suggest moving this thread, as its a bit revealing behind the scenes.

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Maybe I wasn't too clear...

The PayPal message said it could NOT process either of the cards. And so far, neither account shows a charge. However, the donations page shows I HAVE made a $10.00 donation today.

I have been asked twice during this drive if we could accept CC payments and I thought I'd see if I could get a clean transaction through our donation link. That's what is broke.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
A good starting point would be to see if anyone else has paid by credit card or debit card through paypal.

Don't know if we get the type of payment details from Paypal. If not, an option is to PM those who have donated so far to see if anyone has used a credit card.

Just for general info, we (admins and mods) are not privy to the donation details.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The PayPal message said it could NOT process either of the cards. And so far, neither account shows a charge. However, the donations page shows I HAVE made a $10.00 donation today.
I wonder if PayPal blocked us because of the previous drawing/ raffle sales. I can't see anything on our end that would cause this problem. Have you contacted PayPal customer service?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
No Bas, I want to make sure our hands are clean first.

My initial thought was that we had sometime in the past, instructed PayPal not to accept credit cards. That's based upon the wording of the generated message by PayPal. I'm going to PM the board. Maybe one of last years members remembers something.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Joe, I just tried this, I'm wondering if its a paypal issue or something with how the NCWoodworker Paypal Accout is setup?

When I tried to add a Mastercard, it gave me the error you reported.

But, when I looked at my Paypal account, the card was added successfully.

I had a primary card defined in my account, which shows up as a payment option on the Paypal NCWoodworker donation page.

As I retry donation, what I saw was I could choose between my Paypal Balance or my Primary Paypal defined Credit Card.

I was able to make a donation using my primary card setup in my Paypal account.

Hope this helps narrow down what to look at.

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jim, your test shows 3 - $5.00 donations on the donation page.........but.......wait for it......

Sep 6, 2010 Payment FromJim CampbellCompletedDetails Payment From Jim Campbell 9E728931L1511305MChoose action0Print shipping label Add Tracking Info Mark as shipped Issue Refund
  • Print shipping label
  • Add Tracking Info
  • Mark as shipped
  • Issue Refund
$5.00 USD

Sep 6, 2010 Payment FromJim CampbellCompletedDetails Payment From Jim Campbell 9E728931L1511305MChoose action0Print shipping label Add Tracking Info Mark as shipped Issue Refund
  • Print shipping label
  • Add Tracking Info
  • Mark as shipped
  • Issue Refund
$5.00 USD

Paypal has only credited you with 1 - $5.00 transaction. Probably from your PayPal account. Sorry, only copied/paste 2 of them.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
K, thats weird.

As I look at my paypal account, I see it as one transaction with two parts.

First part is -5 from my credit card, the second part is 5 to NCWoodworker.

I cannot follow thats links, as those are for the NCWW Paypal Account.

So are you seeing these 3 transaction from me on the NCWoodworker website or on the Paypal Website?

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As I see it we have two problems:

1. Some click throughs are showing up as donations on the barometer tool. Although no money was actually sent. One member shows that there were "five" donations sent by him and he verified to me that no donation was made, just clicking through.

2. Paypal is not letting credit card donations go through for everyone. I am going to try adding a 5.00 donation off of my debit card and see if it works for me.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As I see it we have two problems:

1. Some click throughs are showing up as donations on the barometer tool. Although no money was actually sent. One member shows that there were "five" donations sent by him and he verified to me that no donation was made, just clicking through.

I did a click through on the donate button but did not go past the paypal login page. That showed as a 10:00 payment on the donation barometer. Joe, disregard that 10.00 payment

2. Paypal is not letting credit card donations go through for everyone. I am going to try adding a 5.00 donation off of my debit card and see if it works for me.

I was able to add my debit card in my paypal account and successfully make a 5.00 donation with it. Joe, count that one please. It is a real donation.

Going forward if we cannot fix the click through issue we need to have payment verification through the paypal email that is sent prior to confirming the amount on the donation barometer; which Joe is already doing.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
To answer Jim's Q.
3 transactions on the NCWoodworker website.(I have deleted them)
1 transaction on the Paypal Website. (I have credited that one)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm going to test something.

Let me know if you see 3 new entries on our site and no new entries in Paypal.

These are new, please leave my first $5 one in place, as thats a valid donation :)

What I suspect we will see are 3 entries on our site and none on Paypal.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, I just did three. For the following amounts: 111 222 and 333

Are you seeing them reported on our site and not in paypal?

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, ok.

How's that for once in a row.

So, here is what is happening.

If you click (on our site), on the "Donate now" link, enter an amount, click "Submit" button, that creates 1 entry on our site in the "Donation List".

There is no computer based tie in from Paypal back to the Donation List.

Hence why I had the three entries ($111, $222 and $333) but nothing in Paypal.

I believe Travis was doing what I'll call "manual reconciliation" based on what is in our "Donation List" and what is on the Paypal Site/Accounting Email.

The way this works is rather misleading and illogical.

Hope that clears up part one.

Back to Joe's credit card not being accepted, it looks to me like a bug at Paypal with adding a new card while trying to send money. I'd suggest contacting Paypal Support to see what they might say.

A wild hair guess is that our Paypal account is setup to only accept the Primary Card or Paypal Balance as payment options. I have no basis in fact, just speculation.

Joe, does this address your concerns or give you a good place to start?

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jim, that explains part of the problem and thanks for the effort on your part. I'll just keep your grand donations too. I'll open a thread, as now you're the big contributor...:gar-Bi

But, I have one guy who will NOT join PayPal and he wants to donate $60.00 by Visa. Another wants me to let him know HOW to do a CC donation. This is something the BoD just has to work out.

That's just two I have PMs from....How many others tried, didn't happen and quit?

OK, stop shooting...I'll delete your test!

Thanks again,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS