Creating complementary curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's still foggy in my Yankee brain, but every village has to have an idiot! BTW, I didn't see any curves in the pic of the model key case. :confused:

So here's my understanding thus far using your complementary wood species.

1. Design and layout your pattern with the complementary curves included so that after glue up the panel can be sectioned appropriately to achieve the "flow" that you're seeking with the selected pieces.

2. Maybe do a prototype full scale panel out of 1/4" MDF with the curves included to verify it is what you want before committing? I'd call this the puzzle component of the process.

3. Satisfied with the design and layout so it's time to make sawdust and execute the plan.

I don't intend to be a boor, but simply find new design and layout ideas every bit as interesting as hands-on woodworking itself. To that end Sketch Up has been immensely helpful to me and it becomes more challenging when curves and radii are part of the plan. :eek:

Thanks to all for their patience.

Scott Cardais

New User
ScottC
Jeff:

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The key cabinet was an example of where I would like to use this complementary curve concept. Once I make the panel, I'd layout the parts (raised panel door, drawers) so the pattern flowed smoothly.

You're not being a boor at all.

I'm confident that the process outlined in the article referenced earlier in this thread will work. If you have a subscription to Fine Woodworking Online, you can view a video of the process here.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/wvt116.asp

Thanks for your feedback.

Scott C.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott,

Yes, I've read the article and watched the video earlier in this thread. It's a pretty fascinating technique and Carol did a good job explaining and illustrating it.

Your project should make an excellent WIP topic with lots of pics to verify that it really did happen!

DavidF

New User
David
I am assuming the FW artical has solved the problem, but I haven't seen it personally. I have made complementary panels a few times and I use the "three template" method. Without resorting to pictures here is what I do.

Take a piece of MDF or any other suitable material and make an exact template that matches one side of the pattern call this T1. Place this on top of another piece of template material that is big enough to cover the whole intended panel. Use a flush trim routing bit IE bearing and cutter the same size say 1/4" to cut fully through the bottom material. So now we have two more templates T2 and T3. sitting 1/4" apart on the bench. One of them (T2) will be an exact copy of the required finished piece and can be used to route the profile on the finished piece for one half of the panel, again with a flush trim bit. The third template (T3) is used with a collar or top bearing that pushes the bit out by 1/4" from the face of the template IE a 3/4 collar or bearing. Route the second half of the panel with this setup and the two panels will match perfectly.

Pictures would be good, but at the moment I don't have the facilities to do this. Have fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS