Creamation Boxes For Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Hey guys and gals, I've been made aware of a program being undertaken in South Carolina, to provide wooden creamation burial boxes, built by woodworking clubs, free of charge, for veteran's burials in National cemeteries in their state. Western Piedmont Woodcrafters, would like to start a similar project here in NC. I buried my brother in Salisbury National Cemetery, in September, and his remains were in a cardboard box provided by the funeral home. Our club, and myself in particular, a disabled Vietnam Veteran, desire to give a little dignity to our veterans who have fought their last battle. I have contacted the Salisbury Cemetery by phone and email, and can get no responce. I sure would appreciate any help and guidance I can get. I believe this is project many of NC WOODWORKERS would like to become involved in. Very interested in hearing your thoughts.:)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Bruce I would be interested in this. Keep us advised if you will.
When someone's diagnosis went into terminal stage IV, I was asked to make a burial urn. That led to a lot of research into areas that brought up too many bad memories.
Ought not be so difficult to get information but funeral homes make a living at this stuff and too many resent 'interlopers' donating what they sell at a profit. "DAMHIKT" Each state has their own laws and regulations that may or may not align with other states. Some states require no container for the remains to be cremated in and others just a simple fluid resistant cardboard container. Remains are to be ground so no piece is identifiable etc. Any recognizable remain are not allowed to be returned to the family. I was aghast that you may or may not actually receive all remains.
There is a formula that says a person of "X" weight will produce a given amount by volume of remains so you can make the cavity of the urn the right size. I can steer you to the information and laws I was able to get if it may help. What the remains were cremated in, a sheet or a cardboard remains box alter the anticipated volume of remains you were expecting - according to sites I researched. I just sightly over sized the one I provided so there should not be a problem.
A difficult topic for many but I appreciate your efforts into this!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey guys and gals, I've been made aware of a program being undertaken in South Carolina, to provide wooden creamation burial boxes, built by woodworking clubs, free of charge, for veteran's burials in National cemeteries in their state. Western Piedmont Woodcrafters, would like to start a similar project here in NC. I buried my brother in Salisbury National Cemetery, in September, and his remains were in a cardboard box provided by the funeral home. Our club, and myself in particular, a disabled Vietnam Veteran, desire to give a little dignity to our veterans who have fought their last battle. I have contacted the Salisbury Cemetery by phone and email, and can get no responce. I sure would appreciate any help and guidance I can get. I believe this is project many of NC WOODWORKERS would like to become involved in. Very interested in hearing your thoughts.:)
Bruce,
Who is the group doing it in South Carolina?

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Bruce,
Who is the group doing it in South Carolina?

Hank, I do not know. The president of the Woodcrafters had talked with someone from a club in S.C. whom, he claimed, had undertaken ( no pun intended) this project. It was also said they kept an inventory of boxes on hand, and someone used a laser to make wooden symbols for each branch of the service, which were affixed to the box when it was sent out. I was told by our pres. that he would give the info he had. After several personal requests, and as many unanswered emails, I have not received the contact info. I'm beginning to think I've got b.o. or something worse. I'm just the V.P. of the group. I am hoping one of our NCWWers from south of the border might read this and weigh in.
There are 4 National Cemeteries in NC, Salisbury, New Bern, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. Also a state cemetery in Asheville. So this would be a cooperative project across the state among all of us woodworkers.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I do not know. The president of the Woodcrafters had talked with someone from a club in S.C. whom, he claimed, had undertaken ( no pun intended) this project. It was also said they kept an inventory of boxes on hand, and someone used a laser to make wooden symbols for each branch of the service, which were affixed to the box when it was sent out. I was told by our pres. that he would give the info he had. After several personal requests, and as many unanswered emails, I have not received the contact info. I'm beginning to think I've got b.o. or something worse. I'm just the V.P. of the group. I am hoping one of our NCWWers from south of the border might read this and weigh in.
There are 4 National Cemeteries in NC, Salisbury, New Bern, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. Also a state cemetery in Asheville. So this would be a cooperative project across the state among all of us woodworkers.
I would [strike]assume[/strike] guess that would be the Greenville Woodworkers Guild. I don't know anyone there personally, but I will try to make a call Friday or Monday to see what I can find out.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I was aghast that you may or may not actually receive all remains.
There is a formula that says a person of "X" weight will produce a given amount by volume of remains so you can make the cavity of the urn the right size. I can steer you to the information and laws I was able to get if it may help. What the remains were cremated in, a sheet or a cardboard remains box alter the anticipated volume of remains you were expecting - according to sites I researched. I just sightly over sized the one I provided so there should not be a problem.

I work in the crematory business and I would have to disagree with a formula. The amount of ash left is first and foremost dependent upon a person's bone density. A person actual weight has little to do with what is left since most of the body is composed of water. If you want a good size container, count on at least 150 cubic inches and no more than 200.
I don't like to talk about these types of things openly like this as it would be very easy to contort my words. But as far as not receiving all remains, I can't speak for every crematory as I am not them but we make a very concerted effort to retrieve all remains of any given individual after every cremation. But I must say that it is very difficult to do so. I explain it this way, when you take a broom and sweep the floor and break out the dust pan, how many times do yo move the dust pan back to get more dust and dirt and then how many times do you just give up on getting all of it up. But you have to also understand that what is to be retrieved from the cremation chamber is bone that really gets converted to the ash. I hope that makes sense.

Now back to the original subject, I think this project is a great idea. If a funeral home or crematory is upset with the idea, they are in the business for the wrong reasons plus the way I run my business, I make very little on an urn. Plus I make some of the wood urns and flag cases that I carry myself. But then again, that is me. I know a lot in the funeral business that don't know which end of a hammer to use (literally). Anyway GREAT idea!!!

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
I'd be interested in helping out. I do a bunch of volunteer work with active duty as my sig line indicates.

Living or passed, to me they are all worthy of our respect and recognition.

Put me on your PM list and I'll also be watching here.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
box113.jpgHere is a box I made with a Christian cross inlay. If anyone wants to incorporate this inlay banding in donated boxes, I will provide the inlay banding free. The bandings I offer are 1/2" wide, and constructed of either walnut with holly crosses, or mahogany/holly. If you have no experience in inlaying a banding; here is a link to a you tube video on how to do it! http://www.inlaybanding.com/video_banding.html.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Kevin,thank you for chiming in. When I made the first one I was lost in many regards and talking to two local funeral services got me no where fast.
I didn't mean to disturb you or anyone but much of what I read said basically the same thing as you did. Services try but they may not retrieve all remains and any metals from say teeth fillings, or surgery etc, as well as identifiable remains are disposed of. Not meaning to open any worm cans, I had just never considered much about the process or such.

The first one I made was for use in another state and the funeral service there was insistent the family purchase an urn from them. Handing them an enclosed copy of their state's law changed their mindset quickly.

http://www.mainelyurns.com/cremation-urn-size-calculator.html
one of several links I came across that reference weight to determine size. I used this basically as a starting place and over sized it some. I had no idea how large it had to be. I have no idea how much extra space there was. The family had requested the urn be as small as possible.
Kevin if you have a more accurate way I'd like to know it. I have two more I am in the planning stages for, one being a family member that last week found her cancer has now spread into her bones. A somber topic at any time, and often there is little if any advance time to prepare.

I appreciate anyone that deals with death on a regular basis. It is a difficult time for the family and as such makes many things harder on those who are trying to accommodate them.One of my part time jobs was working for an ambulance service that was owned by a funeral service. As if in my regular work I didn't see enough, I was introduced to another aspect of the cycle of life.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I attended An appreciation dinner tonight, for area American Legion honor guards. It was hosted by Drum Funeral Home of Newton and Hickory. The director is a member of V.F.W. He invited me to come by next week, and he will show me the plastic container they use for cremains. Once we establish the size, one size fits all, we will have a standard for building the boxes. Other objective is to talk with the director(s) of the National Cemetery. Hopefully, this will happen soon.
Thank you to each of you who have offered to help. Still a few things to work out as to how the boxes will get to where they are needed. Also a big thank you to Kevin and Andy for your valued help.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I attended An appreciation dinner tonight, for area American Legion honor guards. It was hosted by Drum Funeral Home of Newton and Hickory. The director is a member of V.F.W. He invited me to come by next week, and he will show me the plastic container they use for cremains. Once we establish the size, one size fits all, we will have a standard for building the boxes. Other objective is to talk with the director(s) of the National Cemetery. Hopefully, this will happen soon.
Thank you to each of you who have offered to help. Still a few things to work out as to how the boxes will get to where they are needed. Also a big thank you to Kevin and Andy for your valued help.
No real need to go the funeral home Bruce just unless you want to. The standard size for the plastic container that most funeral homes & crematories use is 8.5 x 6.5 x 4.5 which is about 200 cubic inches. Personally even as a funeral director and crematory operator, I hate the plastic boxes. I include what we call a permanent urn in just about every cremation that we do. Although there are some families that specifically request the plastic box usually because of some horror story similar to what Andy was talking about.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Gee, if we only had access to buy some beautiful wood to make these from???
hmmmm?!

Even though I haven't asked my compatriot yet, I'm pretty sure that the two of us—as USMC and US Army veterans, respectively—would be happy to make the wood in question available for this purpose. Now that I know the correct dimensions, I know that I'll at least be making one box... No need to inconvenience anyone else.

;-)

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS