Craftsman radial arm saw: need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I grew up using my grandfather's old Craftsman R.A.S. and loved it. I had it in my old shop until I let it go to friend a few years back when I got combination miter saw, I've missed it ever since. I have a chance to pick up a used 88' 10" R.A.S. in great shape for $300 + or - (it has the new recall guard/ kick-back kit) What do you think? Jim

Am I crazy? or still just romancing the days spent with my grandfather working in the wood shop smelling his Capt. Black pipe tobacco :eusa_thin

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have my Grandfathers Craftsman RAS. My experiance with them was similar to yours. I don't se it fery often, but it sure is nice when I do need it! As long as you use it for crosscut/miter operations, I think it is a good tool to have. Ripping is not really a good idea with them. I remember launching some pretty nasty ballistic missiles!8-O

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Jim, I too grew up on a radial arm saw, not a table saw. I have a Craftsman 10" love it. I certainly don't use it nearly as much as the table saw, but when I have long pieces of lumber to cut, you just can't beat the RAS. I also like it for dados on widths up to 10" as it cuts above the board rather than below.

All that being said, I think $300 for a RAS as old as the one you described is rather high. Keep an eye on Craig's List and I think you can get a better deal.

Just my 2 cents .....

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You'd have to pry my RAS from my cold dusty shop over my dead body.

I think its one of the most overlooked power tools out there.

That said, $300 is pretty steep.

Craiglist has RAS postings almost every day. I picked up a beater for parts for $45.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got that exact saw. It is one of the recalled models, and doesn't have the upgrade safety package available. That said, I bought it for a $100 and it's a great tool. I mainly use it for dado work and the occasional long cross cut. As long as you keep your hands out of the path of the blade :5dunce: it's pretty safe:-D

Dave:)

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I'll second the comments on the steep price. I'd also add that you might want to consider an old DeWlat RAS. They were built better than the Craftsman and you should be able to pick them up for under the $300 buck range.

Just my .02.

BTW, I'm the proud owner of a 10" DeWalt Model 925

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
i would hold out for a better price on the saw, they come and go all the time to be had around 150+-, check out ebay as well.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the good comments, Guys

DaveO - great heads up on the upgrade/recall - I pressed him about it tonight and he said it had a guard similar too the ones used to fix the recall. I offered him $150 He said he'll think about - meantime I'll keep watching CL Thax again, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors