Covers for Fluorescent Lights ( Ever Made Anything )?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Has anyone ever made or bought covers for their shop fluorescent lights ? Our Lowes only has those slip over clear covers...Can something simple be made? Would even tie wraps be safe loosely around on them ? I just want something to catch them should they come a loose and then there's the mercury from the lights to be concerned about ... Thanks !!!

T

toolferone

I bought the clear tube covers with the black ends. I taped the ends on. My lights are really high, so I am not to worried about hitting them. The covers just give me a little peice of mind for the "what if's"

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Tom,
I bought some of those for my 4' lights and I owuld have to twist the lights a little each time to get them to brighten up. Its like they were a tad too long ...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If the lights are free hanging fixtures, you can twist a coat hangar or soft wire around the fixture about a foot in from each end. Small width flat aluminum stock can be bent at the ends to make a clip type retainer to hook over the edges of recessed fixtures (as well as the free hanging ones). I have done both in the past.

Like Flutemaker, I bought some of the clear tubes (from HD) that were a tad too long, and had to trim them to get them to fit. I have gone to those to minimize the results of any small knots, etc, flying around the shop at warp speed from the miter saw, etc. A strap won't help if the bulb is shattered from an impact.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors