Counter top Friday

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Not sure what you are looking at? Our best behavior is not to try and manage the builder, neither the customer.
I know it wasnt yours, but I was just wondering who the hack was that put the window trim on then the shiplap around it, rather than deeper extension jambs to put the trim on the face of the shiplap.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I know it wasnt yours, but I was just wondering who the hack was that put the window trim on then the shiplap around it, rather than deeper extension jambs to put the trim on the face of the shiplap.
You have detailed eye.

Not sure who would be to blame for that.

The framers put the windows in, the shiplap and drywall is a different crew and the trim is once again a different crew.

This has been a difficult but kind customer. She changed her mind several times during construction, including with us doing the cabinets. Lots of change orders even after completion and a lot of redesign during construction.

I think the shiplap may have been a decision by her after the drywall was already in, but I don’t really know.

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
You have detailed eye.

Not sure who would be to blame for that.
There are some things that just scream "this is wrong"!!!! and thats one of them. What ever happened to people doing things right and not blaming the other person? ( im not pointing at you, mind you) I just see it all the time in new construction and alot of it has to blame on the GC for not scheduling things properly. Whoever gets there first, wins, and the customer never wins.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
There are some things that just scream "this is wrong"!!!! and thats one of them. What ever happened to people doing things right and not blaming the other person? ( im not pointing at you, mind you) I just see it all the time in new construction and alot of it has to blame on the GC for not scheduling things properly. Whoever gets there first, wins, and the customer never wins.
I think this was more a case of the customer wins and the subs had to follow instructions.

I have built four houses here in the US, two overseas and I always work through the GC.

Some customers without any knowledge just take over and deal with the subcontractors directly.

Lexington is probably worse, but here in Moore County building is a mom and pop business.

Build in CA, you sign a contract with several pages, you are only allowed on site during construction if the GC is with you and change orders are signed off by the GC before any work takes place.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS