Willem
Corporate Member
BC3BFA8B-FA27-49BC-B513-CA82D90F3499.jpeg
E1CED795-87B4-491F-A184-08D3E0DB4BF5.jpeg
3E9F3773-95DA-4C40-B5AB-985419869FC6.jpeg

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Interesting, the clamps I use really work well, they keep everything flat with perfect alignment.

They were designed and made by Damstom, the patent was sold to Rockler, who now tells me they have been discontinued.

I might have to make some, these go only to 38” long, but they work so well I would love longer ones. I use the same clamps for gluing up all my rail and stile doors.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I heard that Rockler is supposed to be releasing a new panel clamp before the end of the year.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I use 80/20 with clamps. Not as convenient as what you're showing, but relatively cheap and you can get very long lengths. Straight as an arrow. Cut it with carbide blade.
If you haven't seen 80/20, it's known as the "industrial erector set". Browse their website - you can build almost any structural fixture, etc.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting, the clamps I use really work well, they keep everything flat with perfect alignment.

They were designed and made by Damstom, the patent was sold to Rockler, who now tells me they have been discontinued.

I might have to make some, these go only to 38” long, but they work so well I would love longer ones. I use the same clamps for gluing up all my rail and stile doors.
I was just looking at them - that design is REALLY cool! (seemingly easy to set-up too)

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member

Think i have maybe 4 that I don't use. Don't know the length. One of them was damaged in shipping and I didn't know till I opened the package to try them out. Let me know if you want them.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'm usually not a big fan of staining light wood dark (except for oak which seems to take ANY stain well), but these turned out nice! Great job.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I'm usually not a big fan of staining light wood dark (except for oak which seems to take ANY stain well), but these turned out nice! Great job.
Makes two of us, but the customer is the boss.

I normally get the same colors using Transtint as a toner, with far superior results. But it is tricky with a lot of testing, and did not have the time on this job.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Willem, the countertop turned out beautifully (which is what we have come to expect from you and your shop)! I am amazed, however, that you were able to get the maple to stain so evenly, that is not easy to achieve (at least for me).

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Beautiful countertop!

I like the clamps too, seems like it holds the glue up pretty securely.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Willem. Reminds me of a solid Bubinga Bar top I made for a customer back in 2007. It started out with a high gloss finish, but I buffed it out to a satin finish before I finished it for the customer. Hare are the high gloss and satin finishes.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Willem. Reminds me of a solid Bubinga Bar top I made for a customer back in 2007. It started out with a high gloss finish, but I buffed it out to a satin finish before I finished it for the customer. Hare are the high gloss and satin finishes.

That looks great, the gloss always means perfect finishing as it shows the tiniest defect. Nice!!!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem, the countertop turned out beautifully (which is what we have come to expect from you and your shop)! I am amazed, however, that you were able to get the maple to stain so evenly, that is not easy to achieve (at least for me).
I am not a stain guy. This was Minwax Expresso on a 240 RO sanded finish. Applied with a spray gun, sat for 10 minutes and wiped off. For real even stain I use Transtint either with Acetone and a spray gun, or I actually mix it in the clear finish. The latter takes a lot of skill though, as any spray gun overlap will show dark streaks.

Reactions: drw

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I prefer the satin finish over gloss. Turned our great. Wish you did work in NYC. My son just spent a fortune remodeling a 5’ x 8’ galley kitchen in his condo there. The workmanship in his suffers by comparison to your work. Amazing how high the labor and permit fees are in NYC

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors