Couldn't Find One I Liked...

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I couldn't find a gearshift ball for my MG that I really liked, so I made one on my CNC machine...2" diameter finished size.
 

Attachments

  • 8AFDE99F-00F4-4958-AD1D-4B21F3DF4B36.jpeg
    8AFDE99F-00F4-4958-AD1D-4B21F3DF4B36.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 56

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think I would have filled the top with black epoxy. Smoother.

As you have the code, I bet you could turn out a handful and make a some change at a NCMGCC event. Show coming up.

I used just plain smooth Walnut for my B. ( modified as I had a Nissian trans.
 

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I think I would have filled the top with black epoxy. Smoother.

As you have the code, I bet you could turn out a handful and make a some change at a NCMGCC event. Show coming up.

I used just plain smooth Walnut for my B. ( modified as I had a Nissian trans.
I thought about filling it with colored epoxy, but I like it like it is.
 

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Better pics since the finish has completely dried and installed stainless steel threads

I'd like to see pics of the MG. :)

When I got out of the Army in '76 I bought a brand new 1975 MG Midget. I loved that car. My Daughter cried and hugged it when we had to sell it to get a more family friendly vehicle.
 

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I'd like to see pics of the MG. :)

When I got out of the Army in '76 I bought a brand new 1975 MG Midget. I loved that car. My Daughter cried and hugged it when we had to sell it to get a more family friendly vehicle.
1978 barn find...not drivable when I got it.
 

Attachments

  • D3D5A9A2-7192-4E8C-9FA3-45DD78A969DE.jpeg
    D3D5A9A2-7192-4E8C-9FA3-45DD78A969DE.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 40

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
It is a 2 sided job...I started with a 4" x 4" x 2" block...used a 1/4" spiral cutter for roughing out the top half of the ball, then a 1/8" tapered ballnose bit for finishing, then a 45deg v bit for the logo...flipped it over and used the same two bits for roughing and finishing the bottom of the ball, then a 1/4" spiral for pocketing the hole...I threaded the hole by hand and inserted the heli-coil...mounted it on a threaded shaft and spun it in my drill press for finish sanding, then applied a clear gel topcoat.
 

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top