Cordless tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
...the battery-powered kind (before all you Neanderthals jump in here)

I'm looking for a new drill. Right now, I'm using a B&D Firestorm 18V monstrosity. The batteries don't hold a charge, it's large, heavy the only good feature is the quick change between drill and screwdriver bit. However, since I got the PS-40 impact driver, I only use it for drilling. In addition to my drill press, I have a corded drill, so power isn't paramount, although 18V is nice to have.

The B&D drill was part of a kit that included a circular saw, reciprocating saw, sander, drill, charger & 3 batteries. All for $80. So I'm not terribly upset about having to replace it. I haven't used the other tools much, since they're basically worthless.

I looked at the Makita 18V drill, and it's very appealing. Small, light, two Li-Ion batteries, on sale for $172. In addition to a drill, a decent cordless circular saw would be nice, to trim a board during oh, say, a lumber run? :) A reciprocating saw is not high on my priority list, but I wouldn't say no to it. The LXT406 kit has all these items for $350. I was hoping for just the circular saw and drill, but there's no kit for that. Plus, the saw requires 3Ah batteries, the drill kit comes with 1.5Ah. In other words, mixing and matching is complicated.

The Ryobi Li-Ion kit has the same components - circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill, worklight, charger + 2 batteries. I can get that one for $150 (eBay/ live search discount) - less than half of what the Makita costs. But, the drill is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Makita one. Of course, Ryobi also makes a 12V drill, but those batteries aren't suitable for a saw again!

Any experience with these items? Any other models I should consider? The DeWalts are decent, but nothing really stood out compared to the Makita. Ditto for the Milwaukee. I like the lifetime service agreement with the Ridgid (even the batteries are covered), but again, the drill is a little heavy.

Trog777

New User
Trog
I have the Makita drill. Got it in a promotion. Buy the miter saw, get a free drill. I gotta say, I like the drill more than the saw. I've owned several cordless drills, 20+ years worth. They just keep getting better. And the Makita is the best I've ever seen. I added the recip saw when Amazon had them on sale for $78 (no box, no batteries.) Then they had a impact driver on sale and I had heard everyone brag on em, so I said 'what the hey'. Ho-lee torque Batman. That thing is a beast! Greatest cordless tool ever!

Never thought I'd have a use for a cordless cir saw, so I've never looked at them

T

toolferone

I don't think the Ryobi would last you as long as you want. The Makita with the li-ion will be nice, light and plenty of power.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a Makita that is over 15 years old and still works great.. It's is only 7,5 V but drives screws and drill steel almost as well as my corded drill.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have Dewalt 18v tools. 2 nail guns, impact, driver, right angle and the flashlight. I have been pleased and you can buy the lith batteries for them if you want.

David

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Bas,
I have a Skil set, not a lithium set, but they work really well - just need to replace the batteries. A good friend of mine has the Makita lithium ion and he loves them. I would stay away from the Ryobis...I used to have a couple of them and they're good for light houshold work, but thats all.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Have you looked at Bosch?

I have a 14v Compact Tough drill I use a lot. Also have a 24v miter saw, works great. My work horse is a 18v Brute tough hammer drill I got in a set along with a reciprocating saw, circular saw and a jig saw. The jig saw is very handy and cuts smother than the B&D corded model I had.

Rick Doby

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, re cordless drills, let me first establish my bonafides...

When it comes to cordless drills, I've owned, or own, or used, (or melted...) Makita, Panasonic, Craftsman, Milwaukee, Snap-on, Festool, DeWalt, Bosch, and probably a few that I've forgotten.

For all-around woodshop work, the hands down nicest unit was the Festool. I would recommend this package:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=2&prodid=PC1213S

If you're going to be doing heavy-duty construction work with the drill, get the Milwaukee 28V model.

The New Makita LI drills are a great intermediate choice.

Check out the Festool before you buy. It's pricy (around $460.00 for the set), but worth it. And let's face it, a cordless drill is one of the most used tools in our inventory, so why go cheap?

Scott

DaveD

New User
Dave
I bought a Milwaukee 18V lithium ion refurb set. Drill, flashlight and sawzall, 2 batteries, charger, for $250. Drill sure is heavy though.

Had a firestorm 14V before but the batteries crapped out and the drill had intermittent contact problems that were really frustrating. I did like the weight of the firestorm though.

A reasonably priced 14V lithium ion setup would be nice.

T

toolferone

Bas, if you are interested in the Festool set Scott is talking about I might have a nice deal for you. I need to wait until I get home to check it out. PM if you want more info.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I have the entire Bosch 18v lineup. Every tool in there is a winner in my opinion (the planer is not very useful though). I've had these for 5 years and have had no issues with any of them. I've dropped the drill on my concrete floor a number of times, and use the reciprocating saw to cut wood and brush around the house. The jigsaw is well known and similar to their corded variety. I used the circular saw for a while as my main cutting tool before deciding to really get into this woodworking stuff.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Folks, GREAT input from everyone, I appreciate all the information. I think my main problem is that I want one drill to do everything, or failing that have a compatible battery set. That's not going to happen. I think I need to spend some money on a good WW drill, and then maybe buy a cheaper set for the occasional use outside the shop (e.g. DIY work).

I mainly want a handy drill for in the workshop, drilling pilot holes, making recesses for fasteners, counterboring etc. Something that can get into tight corners. It needs to have some power (Forstner bits don't turn themselves) but it doesn't have to be excessive, I'll break out the corded drill for that. The Makita (or the Festool...very cool but pricey) still seems like the best bet. What I found interesting is that there are almost no 14.4V Li-Ion drills out there, and that the 18V Li-Ion ones are still lighter than the average 14.4V NiCad/ NiMh drill.

So I'm still not sure what to get. One interesting search result - Makita is coming out with a 10.8V drill/ driver, similar to what Bosch has in impact drivers.
Makita_LCT203W_ComboKit.gif

Maybe that's worth getting for the fine woodworking around the shop, and combine it with a bigger 18V drill (or kit) for the heavier work. Best of all, it means buying TWO tools! :tool:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sounds like you've gotten several great suggestions here. Which leads me to thinking........ "it's Bas, he should just buy all of them." You know you want to. :rotflm:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Bas, I think you're right - ultimately you're going to want more than 1. I have my eyes on that Makita kit, and if it looks good I may purchase it, otherwise I will be getting the Bosch PS20, because I don't want to lug the 18v around all the time.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I just bought the white and black Li Ion Makita set a week ago to replace a old 14.4 volt Hitachi and I must say the drill is quite nice. They had a deal at Home Depot where the Drill and Impact Driver set was on sale + you got a free extra battery with an in store coupon, I think this deal expires at the end of the month. The Makita is very light and very powerful, not to mention the little LED light actually does come in handy in tight places. Just my .02

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS