Copyrighted material? Need Prompt action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I put the post in moderation and am writing a PM to John. I'm assuming his intentions are good and posting this is a misunderstanding about IP law

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
This is the content of the PM that I send to John;

John,

You posted some information taken from Fine Woodworking magazine in a thread on NCWW. While the information is good and we do appreciate the help offered, the information (magazine article) is actually owned by the magazine. Because this information is the property of the magazine, you can only post a link to it, not actually copy it.

I pulled your post from the thread for the above reason, but encourage you to (continue to) post and suggest you post your response with a link to the magazine article.

Thank you for your participation in this forum and for your contributions.

I will be headed toward the airport in another hour and will be in MN for the next several days. My access to NCWW will be very limited for the remainder of the week.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks Ray. You got it right. I do not think there is an intent on John's part to violate the law here. I am just rying to protect NCWW and FWW, for that matter.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I just read the thread and he still has an excerpt from the article posted. Is that alright?

Barbara

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I just read the thread and he still has an excerpt from the article posted. Is that alright?

Barbara
Barbara, you can see the moderated posts. Does the post you are talking about have the mod man icon to the right of the post, included in the post.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I selected just the post with the quote and "unapproved" it with the mod tools. When I look at the thread, I still see the post but the little moderator is in the corner. Regular members should not see the post... only those of us with super powers... who know the mystic incantations...

b4man

New User
Barbara
Ok, this is a first for me. Yes the mod man with an X on his mouth is there. I didn't realize we could still see it.

Thanks,
me

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Please understand the seriousness of this issue. A company like Tauton Press can come down on us hard for issues like this. We need to be careful with regard to all copyrighted materials.

Doug

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

That's why I pulled the post as quickly as I did. The only joking here is about the moderator symbols and how mods can see things that are in moderation. I do a load of writing both on and off the job; and I take IP law very seriously. (But we really do have secret super powers...)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Doug,
I think a Staff announcement is in order here. There's no doubt in my mind that any of us would break this law intentionally.

A good reminder wouldn't hurt. Coming from an Attorney would make it that much more valid.

Barbara

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC does not Copyright Law allow this sort of thing provided the author/source is acknowleged, or has the advent of the Internet changed that stipulation?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am not bothered by the humor Ray, I just want to emphasize that this is something we need to be vigilant about. Dennis, there are a few exceptions, but inour situation it is safest to assume that none apply. The only time this is acceptable for NCWW is if we have the express permission of the copyright holder.

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
As I suspected, John made an honest mistake. Here is his response to my PM:

oops. Sorry about that. Will not happen again.
Thanks
John

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks Ray. Can he give us a link to FWW to insert in place of the text so we can take the post out of moderation?

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Received a reply from John. He declined. Says not to worry about the post and that next time he does post, he'll remember to use a link rather than cut & paste.

I'm going to let this one go and just soft delete the post. If I keep writing to him, all I'll do is irritate him.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Received a reply from John. He declined. Says not to worry about the post and that next time he does post, he'll remember to use a link rather than cut & paste.

I'm going to let this one go and just soft delete the post. If I keep writing to him, all I'll do is irritate him.

Wise choice!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS