Copperhead repellant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am building a 9 x 27 shed on the side of my shop that I will use as a lumber shed and lawn tractor storage.

The area was a storage spot for several ladders and was a bit overgrown. As I started to move the ladders, I saw a coiled copperhead.
I wondered if there might be more - in the end there were six ranging in size from 20 to 36 inches.

What is the best method/product to make sure they stay away ??

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I read that sulphur will keep them away but away from there may be right in to a worse place. Shotgun is for certain.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
They seem to like the same places people like in the Cary/Raleigh area - I had an A/C guy find one inside my outside unit when he was servicing it.

He asked if it was OK to kill it - I said sure - please do.

Glad you're OK - don't fool around with them that close to the house - dispatch them quickly.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dug around a bit more this evening. Two more found so now my shovel has eight notches.

I wonder how big this family was or is

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Snakeaway is a mixture of naphthalene (aka mothballs) and sulfur. Mothballs are available at dollar tree. Not sure about sulfur.

the shovel or shotgun is the safer alternative

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Clean out their hiding place. They most likely over wintered in the debris pile. Since we got rid of wood pile for fire place many years ago, we seldom see a copperhead. Lead oxide applied at a high velocity works, along with iron oxide on a stick, which you have already used.

redknife

New User
Chris
Had a copperhead problem at last house. Lots of little guys and big guys. Got rid of their habitat and the reports of snake sightings from neighbors went up -“you guys notice a lot of copperheads this year”- “Nah”
stay safe

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Walked out on my deck one morning a couple years ago only to find a water moccasin staring at me. I back up, ran back inside to grab my 12 ga., then thought, probably too much, might have to replace some decking. Grabbed a .22 pistol, ran back out and put one through its head. It flipped and flopped, fell off the deck and I never found it. Have to say, i was pretty scared for me or my dog to venture into the back yard.

I had some shot shells for a .44 mag but could find them. Found them later and to this date is loaded with them.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I was at Lowe’s today and right beside the fire ant mound killer was something to keep copperheads away. Might help.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am building a 9 x 27 shed on the side of my shop that I will use as a lumber shed and lawn tractor storage.

The area was a storage spot for several ladders and was a bit overgrown. As I started to move the ladders, I saw a coiled copperhead.
I wondered if there might be more - in the end there were six ranging in size from 20 to 36 inches.

What is the best method/product to make sure they stay away ??

My helper found one a couple years ago in the yard, 38" long... I found a 2x4 x 4 feet to be quite effective... this one got her in the eyeball

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Walked out on my deck one morning a couple years ago only to find a water moccasin staring at me. I back up, ran back inside to grab my 12 ga., then thought, probably too much, might have to replace some decking. Grabbed a .22 pistol, ran back out and put one through its head. It flipped and flopped, fell off the deck and I never found it. Have to say, i was pretty scared for me or my dog to venture into the back yard.

I had some shot shells for a .44 mag but could find them. Found them later and to this date is loaded with them.

Water moccasins can be super aggressive and they scare me. I’ve literally had them chase me.

gmakra

New User
George
When we moved down here I found one under a rock at our pound.
My wife is terrified of snakes had a major fit! Think of the trailers you see about Bridzillas and times that by 100!
Had me run out and get Snake Repellent so I got three one gallon jugs of the stuff.
She sprinkled all off it around,and made our log cabin looked like a frosted donut.
She spent hours researching keeping snakes at bay so we have lemon plants or bushes and on and on.
I think its a placebo my self.
The neighbor is a vet and we talked about snakes. She said remove brush or anything they can conceal themselves in.
If possible remove food sources and one thing they love is water.
So keep areas around water cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS