Cooler Weather = Shop Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I've been waiting on summer to cool down so I could get out and work some. Yesterday and today I managed to get in a little shop time and almost completed a couple projects. :eusa_danc:banana:

Remember this one from back in March?
Finally_ready_to_come_out_of_the_ground_2.JPG

Well, here's a portion of it; actually the bottom most section. It sat in one of my bins since I cut it and I finally dug it out yesterday and started working it down.
root_section_table1.JPG

I really want to remove a lot of the bark on this root piece because there's some burls that look like they will have some nice figure to them.:gar-Bi
root_section_table2.JPG

Some nice burl figure on the left side.
root_section_table3.JPG

This is another root section from the same big stump and the slab is from a dead Maple I cut approx 2 years back. It's been sitting in my warehouse for over a year while I studied on what to do with it. Finally found a suitable base for it and turned it into a table top.
root-slab_table1.JPG

root-slab_table2.JPG

Little better shot of the slab. I had to cut off one side due to really punky wood but I was able to save the opposite side. Lot of spalting, ambrosia, and some pretty nice grain in there too.
root-slab_table4.JPG

Oh well, have to save the finishing for another weekend when we've got great weather like we had this weekend. I've got several projects in the works that I really need to get done before cold weather gets here and I start cutting more trees. Have no idea where I'm going to put another 12 to 15 trees worth of logs and stumps:dontknow: but I can't let 'em go to waste. Thanks for looking.:icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Kewl shtuff David.:icon_thum:icon_thum do you hollow them out to reduce weight?

Dragon

New User
David
Kewl shtuff David.:icon_thum:icon_thum do you hollow them out to reduce weight?

:gar-La; Sure would like to but I don't have anything yet to do that particular job with. I can hollow out a log with the chainsaw but it's a tad too big for the smaller stuff.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Looks like you have been busy there ole bud:icon_thum.Man those are looking good.As for hollowing out.:eusa_thin How about some fostner bit's:dontknow::icon_scra.

Dragon

New User
David
Looks like you have been busy there ole bud:icon_thum.Man those are looking good.As for hollowing out.:eusa_thin How about some fostner bit's:dontknow::icon_scra.

Got some but I need to get an extension bit for the drill I guess. Something else to add to my list of things I need.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great looking work. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up That third picture looks like a puppy wanting to play to me. :gar-Bi

dlrion

New User
Dan
You sure are right about the weather changing motivation... I have already doubled my shop time, from summer.

I won't start churning out the good stuff until I need to light a wood fire to keep warm. Something about flannel shirts, and the smell of a wood fire...

Bring on the COLD!!!

Yahoo!

Dan

lottathought

New User
Michael
I really wish it was the weather keeping me out of the shop.

For me, it is work. They started allowing OT at the first of this year, then they laid off way too many people. (I suspect this was the reason why they gave us OT in the first place.)
Now I am pulling 12 hour days and what precious free time I do get is for the family.

Dragon

New User
David
Thanks for all the comments. I can relate to the overtime; been at now for several weeks with no slow down in sight. I'm really hoping to get a few pieces actually finished out this winter and maybe try a little marketing at a couple places just to see if anyone will actually buy my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS