Cool pic

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
This was posted as a random photo on a non-woodworking forum I belong to. I tried a Google search but came up with zilch.

1601603088976.png

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know a lot of you don’t like Instagram. But please take a look at Barbie’s workshop.

Whoever is behind this makes miniature tools and has Barbie build projects with the tools. They do a great convincing job of staging and posing. There are even action clips.

You really just need to see it.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You should look up the history and jointer in the Japanese guilds. Different joints for peasant, merchant, civil and palace. Makes that beautiful log work above look like Lincoln Logs. Each guild had their prescribed joints, not to be used elsewhere. Standard sizes dating back to 6th century. Some could make your head hurt.
The Art of Japanese Joinery, Kiyosi Seiki, s a good basic primer

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A pith in every log. LOL
I have seen only one log cabin with no pith in the logs. It was dated 1766 and I think the whole cabin was built from one tree. The logs were 12-16 inches thick in the lower sections and 24-30 inches tall. From the rings it looked like each log was split from a quarter of the trunk. As the walls went up the logs decreased in size just as you would expect in a tree. The cabin was 20 feet square and one full story with a half story loft. All very well hewn yellow poplar with locust pegs in the window and door openings.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
John Maki makes very fine miniature tools.

Here is the one Martin posted from Fine Woodworking mag built by William Robertson.
Robertson was my grandfather's name and the name I was born with.

Here is more about William Robertson.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
You should look up the history and jointer in the Japanese guilds. Different joints for peasant, merchant, civil and palace. Makes that beautiful log work above look like Lincoln Logs. Each guild had their prescribed joints, not to be used elsewhere. Standard sizes dating back to 6th century. Some could make your head hurt.
The Art of Japanese Joinery, Kiyosi Seiki, s a good basic primer

I lived in Japan for three years back when I was in the squadron depicted in my avatar. I marveled at the woodwork, but that was well before I took an interest in woodworking and I didn't fully appreciate what went into it.

I did bring back two entire suites of rosewood and teak furniture from China all made in the traditional style of joinery.

1615400523792.png

This is actually simpler than my dining room table because its legs meet in the middle of a curve. o_O

This is the corner of the table. Who knows what magic is hidden in there.
1615401281209.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS