Confessions of a Power Tool Junkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
So I will try again. As I was writing the original post, the software signed me out and I lost the photos.

I first purchased a glue rack to make the glue-ups easier and more precise.

DWS_0803.jpg

I then purchased a down draft table to handle dust in the shop. With the doors closed during the cold months, dust is a problem.

DWS_0802.jpg

A wide belt sander was the next on the list and I settled on a Grizzly 24" because of the budget and load restrictions of the wood floor in the shop.

DWS_0801.jpg

To operate the wide belt I needed to upgrade to a better air compressor so for the same budget reasons I bought an Ingersoll rand 60 gallon dual stage compressor. Works well!

DWS_0804.jpg

Hopefully that will be all for now but you never know.

cpw

New User
Charles
They only solution is to quit, cold-turkey. When should I come by to relieve you of all temptation?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
David, Congrats on all the toys. Please let me know if you decide you no longer need the wide belt. It would look good sitting next to my edge sander:gar-La;.

Please do a review on the sander once have you some time on it.

DWSmith

New User
David
Charlie, I can do that now. So far we have put about 5 hours use on it so I have a little background to speak fro.

Packing, blah, blah, blah...

Now to the real stuff.

The wide belt was a bear to get off the pallet. First the recesses for a forklift just weren't tall enough so we had to suspend the sander from the ceiling to place it on the floor. It would have been nice to see some lifting hooks on the top of the cabinet. But we go it down and bolted securely to the floor. Why I don't know, the 1500+ pounds of weight should be enough to keep it in place easily.

Then the adjustments started. The pinch rollers were no where near to their working position and that took all of 15 minutes to fix. The directions in the instruction manual were very complete and easy to understand. I determined the table was 0.010 low on the right side and called Grizzly tech support for help. The poor guy on the other end knew little more than I did and all he could do was read the manual. He did tell me that 0.005 was normal. So I read the manual for the fifth time and decided to wade in to the adjustment. The first attempt got the level within 0.003 and when I added the shims under the table supports it was then within 0.001 of even. The digital table adjustment panel was no where near to what the real reading was supposed to be and required a little effort to finally get the panel to read properly. A good set of digital calipers helped me to get the readings the same.

I do like the table adjustment panel, it allows me to raise and lower in 0.005 increments. What I don't like is if I enter a number other in the middle of their stops, it will go to the next stop and bypass my instructions. Belt changes are easy, the operations panel is easy to understand and the sander doesn't make a lot of noise. Dust collection is accomplished by 2 4" ports on top of the cabinet with one directed directly at the belt. Very little dust gets by.

Grizzly gives a year warranty and AmEx will add another year so I guess I am covered. Hopefully I will not have to replace it anytime soon.

So the big question is why did I purchase a Grizzly wide belt sander. 1. Budget! I could afford just so much and I wasn't going to break the bank. 2. I could have used a 37" sander but the cost was more than I wanted to spend. 3. Most of the sanding I do is smaller pieces under 20" wide so I simply didn't need to go larger. 4. The floors in the shop are wood and the 1500 pounds of weight was worrying me. A 37" sander would have been in the 2200 to 2600 pound range and that did worry me. It would have been a sad sight to see the floor bend under the weight.

Come on down when you can and I will let you see how it operates. Maybe in a year i can give a bit deeper review.

Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
This may be a Dumb question, but why would you need a compressor for a belt sander?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Dang David, w/ all your upgrades, my shop is starting to feel a little inadequate. :gar-La; I may have to go buy something new just to keep up. :wwink:

Sounds like your business is doing really well if you are upgrading equipment. That's great!

DWSmith

New User
David
This may be a Dumb question, but why would you need a compressor for a belt sander?

Actually that is a very good question! (No dumb questions! The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.)

Air pressure provides tension for the wide belt and the oscillation of the belt. When loading the belt the upper roller is down and when air is applied it raises up to stretch the belt tight for use. The belt also oscillates from side to side to keep the heat from building up.

Hope that was as good of an answer as the question was.

DWSmith

New User
David
Dang David, w/ all your upgrades, my shop is starting to feel a little inadequate. :gar-La; I may have to go buy something new just to keep up. :wwink:

Sounds like your business is doing really well if you are upgrading equipment. That's great!

You need to turn loose of some if that rusty money! LOL

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Actually that is a very good question! (No dumb questions! The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.)

Air pressure provides tension for the wide belt and the oscillation of the belt. When loading the belt the upper roller is down and when air is applied it raises up to stretch the belt tight for use. The belt also oscillates from side to side to keep the heat from building up.

Hope that was as good of an answer as the question was.

Some belt sanders will also use bursts of compressed air to self-clean the abrasive belt at regular intervals and prevent buildup... And sometimes owners will make this modification to lesser models as well to help extend the life of their abrasive belts. It also has the effect of helping to cool the belts to reduce pitch buildup if the frequency is often enough (and the compressor large enough).

Just another of the many possible applications of compressed air in a shop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS