Concrete Top Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I'm building an Egg Grill station for my son in law and using a concrete top ... roughly 2" x 26" x 5'. Does anyone have experience or a recommendation on a sealer for the concrete top? The grill will stay outside, under a porch, but still open to the elements ... sun, cold, heat, rain, humidity, et al. I do have some history with concrete tops - but it's been ~10 years ago. I'm thinking the better way to go is an absorption type sealer which 'soaks' into the surface, in lieu of a top coat type sealer like I'd do for a bar. I can easily get some of the garage type floor sealer from the box stores - just wondered if someone had a better solution. Perhaps a DIY mix like most of us use for wood surface finishes?

Thanks in advance for your responses ...

Ciao - Dorm

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I suggest that you use a top quality tile grout sealer. It deals with porous surfaces quite well and will absorb into the top. It is used on interior counters tops as well.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I had a friend of a friend that had their garage floor sealed with something. It was slick as ice when wet.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Start with air-entrained concrete to greatly improve resistance to freeze-thaw spawling of the surface of exposed exterior concrete.

Then I'd recommend a densifier, a calcium-enriching chemistry that hardens the surface and fills in the pores. Products I've used include SureHard by Kaufman and Seal Hard by Laticrete. (Email or message me if you want my long list of these products.) This is what is commonly used for exposed concrete floors in large retail stores, schools, etc. They keep all the "fines" in place on the surface for a smooth glossy finish and resist permanent stains penetrating the porous concrete.

Sounds like you already are familiar with the plastic-like finish qualities or poorer durability of surface treatments like epoxy/resin and wax- or acrylic-based sealers.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dorm check with Guarenteed Supply in Raleigh. They can fix you up with a gallon of the correct product. They are off Lake Wheeler Rd just south of 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS