Concept Drawing: Laundry Hamper

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hey all-
The future LOML (aka: fiance) was at Lowes last week and saw one of their free plans for a laundry hamper.
http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Clothes_Hamper_0108.aspx

She gave it to me, and said I want one that looks like this, but its like the one we registered for:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17828878&RN=1014&

So...since I've recently discovered SketchUp, I decided I'd start planning it...and only 2 days later, here it is!

Closed:
clothinghamper.jpg

Open:
clothinghamperopen.jpg

Looking Inside:
clothinghamperinside.jpg

SO, Any ideas on what wood to use for it? The plan utilizes simple dimensional lumber and plywood (1x6, 2x2, 1/4" board, 1/4" plywood, and 3/4" plywood).

I've told her to take the hamper off our registry :gar-Bi

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'd say go with Red Oak as it is widely available, and plywood isn't not hard to find. But the real defining element would be what do you have going on in your house, or in the room it will be located in? It would be best to match color and shades with that decor.
If you build and get her to use it, please pass along your secrets. I'm looking at a pile of clothes in front of the hamper, and you don't even have to lift a lid, just drop it in...but no :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on the red oak. It's affordable, and you can easily find plywood to match. Maple would also be good if you prefer something more modern looking. But the real question is - what does the LOYL want? Most non-woodworkers really only care about the color (light/ medium/ dark). Once you know that, finding the right species is easy.

BTW, nice looking design!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Does wanting a laundry hamper mean she expects you to actually pick up your dirty socks and underwear? Whew! You might be setting a dangerous precedent there, Jeff. :rotflm:

Bill

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
My fiance said that she'd like it to match the bedroom set we have...I've included a picture below...any suggestions on a finish to use to get the red oak dark enough?

IMG_26851.JPG

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors