Compressor advice for HVLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm researching portable air compressors that I can use for spraying finishes as well as other shop/garage uses in a hobbyist shop. I'd like to be able to spray latex to lacquer with an HVLP gun (maybe the $80 Husky HDS790?), but have read recommendations elsewhere that I need a 5HP 80 gal or better compressor.

But I'd rather not spend more than $500 for the whole setup and want to keep it at 120V if possible. Can I get a good finish from models like the Husky Pro VT6315 or DeWalt D55168? Will I be disappointed with 6-ish CFM at 40psi? Is HVLP overkill for 6 projects a year? Is oil-less ok for my situation?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I am using a Husky 26-gal compressor and a $20 Harbor Freight HVLP with small nozzle and $40 Vasper HVLP (from Northern Tool) with 2.3mm nozzle for paint and have had ZERO problems (well, after I added the in-line water collector)

FYI - The latex is difficult to get spraying. I added Flood brand Floetrol and water to get it to the right consistency before it would spray even thru the larger 2.3mm nozzle.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

I'm not sure what you're spraying or what the other components of the spray system are, so I don't know how many CFM you need to move. One thing you should consider is tank size. Generally, with spraying, you are pushing air for extended periods of time (as opposed to nail guns that need a small puff of air when you drive a nail). I think that I'd look to larger tanks so that you don't have the compressor cycling on every minute or so.

Ray

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Noisy ... yes.

When I sprayed the beds I made recently it would cycle occasionally, but it never got to a point where the air was not adequate at the gun end of the hose.

Personally, I had no problems ... however, I'm not spraying all day, day in and day out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS