Commissioned guitar stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I have a friend that has asked me to make a stool for her husband to sit on when he plays guitar. It will have a back on it and I was wondering if anyone had plans or suggestions on where to look for ideas.

Toddler

New User
Todd
If it's not a surprise, I would ask the husband some questions. If he plays classical guitar, does he want the foot stool/step attached or separate? Some stools have a built in foot rest.

Also, how tall is he and how high would he like the seat to be? If you are going to make it height adjustable, that may not matter, but if not, and he's not between 5'7" and 6'1" or so, it's probably worth talking to the player.

Just my initial thoughts on what I'd ask my friend Mike who plays classical guitar, acoustic, and electric.

If it's a surprise, tell me how tall the guy is, and what type of playing he does, and I'll ask Mike.

Sorry I can't help more,

Todd

MikeH

New User
Mike
If it's not a surprise, I would ask the husband some questions. If he plays classical guitar, does he want the foot stool/step attached or separate? Some stools have a built in foot rest.

Also, how tall is he and how high would he like the seat to be? If you are going to make it height adjustable, that may not matter, but if not, and he's not between 5'7" and 6'1" or so, it's probably worth talking to the player.

Just my initial thoughts on what I'd ask my friend Mike who plays classical guitar, acoustic, and electric.

If it's a surprise, tell me how tall the guy is, and what type of playing he does, and I'll ask Mike.

Sorry I can't help more,

Todd

It's a surprise and he plays acoustic and electric. He is 6'1" ish.

Toddler

New User
Todd
So not Classical style? Just want to be sure. I think you have a lot more leeway if we're talking about steel string acoustic.
I'll ask Mike if I can get in touch with him tonight.

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
Yeah, those aren't traditional, but that little shelf would let somebody put their heel on it to raise the headstock side knee if the stool wasn't there.
I'll let you know what I learn later.
Todd

woodrat

New User
Archie
The stool I use is a regular old wood stool just under 2 foot high.
Got it at an unfinished wood store for around $20.00. No back or
anything, just a stool. Perfect for me and I'm 6' 1". I play electric only.

Hope this helps.

Woodrat

rhett

New User
rhett
Looks like there are some pickers and grinners here. My only suggestion is to make the stool out of the same wood as his favorite guitar.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I can almost go with Archie after Mike chuckled at me. Mike was classically trained but made a living as a studio musician in Nashville for years playing both acoustic and electric. His take was that he always thought an armless and stable desk chair was the most comfortable seat to play on. He said after a while a stool or even a stool with a low back gets uncomfortable, more with acoustic than electric though, because with a wider seat he can actually rest the right curve of the guitar on the chair seat next to him.

Basically, it sounds like you can't go wrong if you make it stable and comfortable.

Todd

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Mike,

Here is a picture of Tage Frid's three-legged stool. It is from his Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Book 3: Furnituremaking. I was really impressed with how stable it looked in the DVD that came with the book set. The seat is 22" high and the back is 30 1/4. The handle may also be a good design feature for a guitarist.

Attachments

• stool.jpg
    stool.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 241

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, just out of curiosity I went Googlin' and ran across this. Very unique, doubles as a stand and stool.

02-22-guitar.jpg

It's made by this company Paparwark Furniture

But I bet we could figure out how to make it at home :icon_thum

Dave:)

Toddler

New User
Todd
Now that is a slick idea, to combine the seat with a guitar stand!
Thanks for posting it Dave, I may try something like that one of these days.

Todd

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike,

Here is a picture of Tage Frid's three-legged stool. It is from his Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Book 3: Furnituremaking. I was really impressed with how stable it looked in the DVD that came with the book set. The seat is 22" high and the back is 30 1/4. The handle may also be a good design feature for a guitarist.

Amy I like that design alot, but she wants something a little more traditional. I may try one of those for myself though.

JohnW

New User
John
Hi Mike...the only help I can offer is to tell you what I like. I've been playing acoustic over 35 years.
  1. I like a stool with a round seat that allows me to turn any direction. Not talking about spinning 360...just shifting back and forth a little.
  2. Don't like a back because... I don't lean back and it gets in the way if I'm shifting (see number 1) A back is just another place to bang the guitar and put more dings in it.
  3. Like to have runners (foot rest) close to the floor to prop my foot on...either foot. Like to have one foot on the floor and one on the runner..and also like to switch foot position because it helps keep the tension on my back equalized.
  4. Seat height is important for me. I don't like to have to stretch to reach the floor. If I sit in the stool with feet directly below my knees, I want the bend in my knee (angle formed from calf to hamstring) to be just over 90 degrees.
  5. As I get older...a thick cushion would be appreciated;-)
Never though describing a stool could be so hard... And for the record, I'll play just about anywhere sitting on just about anything. Not nearly as picky as I sounds here.

Good luck.
John W

J

jeff...

Mike, just out of curiosity I went Googlin' and ran across this. Very unique, doubles as a stand and stool.

02-22-guitar.jpg

It's made by this company Paparwark Furniture

But I bet we could figure out how to make it at home :icon_thum

Dave:)

That is VERY COOL - I really like multi use furniture it's like thinking outside the box.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Mike,

Check out the chair I posted as "Be careful what you ask for". My cousin loves it. He's 6'3" and plays acoustic and electric guitar. The back wraps around so you can prop your arm on it.

Rick Doby

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,

Check out the chair I posted as "Be careful what you ask for". My cousin loves it. He's 6'3" and plays acoustic and electric guitar. The back wraps around so you can prop your arm on it.

Rick Doby

I think Rick is referring to this post. The pixs aren't in his gallery, they are attachments.

HTH,
Roger

Toddler

New User
Todd
See, that highlights individual differences. would find that back in my way playing guitar. Of course I'm only 5' 8 or 9". Interesting design though.
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors