Combined Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I combined a 3-D plaque pattern from the Berry Basket and a silouhette pattern from the wooden teddy bear to come up with this 3-D plaque for a friend of a friend who has an anniversary coming up.

This has taken a few weekends and I had to take a couple weekends off from working on it just to do something else. I cannot stand when someone gives me a deadline for something like this - then it seems to become work instead of play and relaxation.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I should probably try to answer the normal questions:

It's all baltic birch plywood, some is 3/8 and the rest is 1/8. The blue is a dye. FD#3 skip tooth for most of the stuff, but the lettering had to be done with a spiral blade because the straight blade kept breaking the fine letter pieces. The stain is mahogany and I used a gel type super glue for the glue up.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nicely done bro :icon_thum
I really like the veining on the trees and your contrast in the colors
Good job combining patterns :eusa_clap
Good on ya ! :thumbs_up

J

jeff...

Wow very nice indeed - DaveO are you seeing this or have you been spending too much time on the lathe again? :gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Where do I sign up for the lessons that you scrollers took? Ya'll have got some talent. Very nice looking piece.

cskipper

Cathy
I like the combination of patterns too. Was gluing the dolphin on the left over the different lower levels difficult? What kind of dye did you use and how did you apply it? (I've never tried that yet). I have to agree about meeting someone else's time make even a simple, let alone a more complex one, frustrating. You did a great job! :icon_thum

Hook

New User
Gregory
I like the combination of patterns too. Was gluing the dolphin on the left over the different lower levels difficult? What kind of dye did you use and how did you apply it? (I've never tried that yet). I have to agree about meeting someone else's time make even a simple, let alone a more complex one, frustrating. You did a great job! :icon_thum

The dolphin is just glued to the plaque frame and that wasn't any problem :)

The dye is a wood dye I found at Woodcraft - I have no idea what the name of it is, came in a little bottle, 1oz of blue powder dye was something like $10. The dye is supposed to end up much darker, but I used very little dye in a bit water and just wiped it on with a cloth.

Thanks again to everyone for their encouragement. Still have some sanding to do. Probably won't be till some other night tonight. I've been told I won't be feeling like doing much the rest of today.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job, Greg! I don't think I would have the patience (not to mention the talent!) to do something like that. The recipients should be very pleased...

Hook

New User
Gregory
Sold!!!!

:eusa_danc

I asked the nice lady to just cover my material/pattern costs and costs of having to purchase the dye and she handed me Mr. Grant. I sent her a big thank you! I tried to tell her I don't do this stuff for any kind of profit but she insisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors