Combination Squares

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Other than Starrett, only because they are out of my budget, what are some recommends for 4" and 6" combination squares? I have a 12" and 18" from doing more framing type work. Looking for something smaller for more detailed work

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Tim,

or

may be a good start.

Regards,

Rick

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
I have a PEC 4" double square and a PEC 4 piece combination square that are both blemished--the double square had some tiny bubble in the paint, and I'm still not sure what the issue is with the combination square set. Both are high quality, made in the US, and are decently priced for high quality tools. In both cases, the brand marks were ground off of the rules, but that doesn't affect their function. I got the double square frome Taylor Toolworks, and my brother bought me the combo square from Harry Epstein.

One caveat: These items sell out sometimes (just looked at taytools, and everything is sold out, so you'll need to check back or sign up for the email when in stock option).

Check the blem links at the top of this page: Tools > Measuring > Squares

This link should go to the "combination square" search results on HJEpstein. You can get a PEC 4R blem combination square for $40, it looks like. Search: 376 results found for "combination square"

*Edit: Ooop! Forgot you were hunting 4 and 6" squares. Epstein has a 6" double square for $30. My 4" PEC blem square never leaves me when I'm in the shop.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I typically get PEC Blems at Harry Epstein.
Sometimes, TayTools has PEC Blems, too.

No way I'm paying full price if I can help it.

Keep your eyes opened and check the websites daily. You can also sign up to be notified when they are back in stock... on TayTools.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I bought the $10 circle.. the one you use to put the code in, on the main page.

If you need me to bust out that discount circle, let me know. I'd be happy to help you save 10%?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would rely on the input from the gentlemen here on good brands, BUT the link below provides a link to a site that sells overstock and scratch/dent items are a really reasonable price point. You should be able to find a quality square or two in their selection. Brands include Benchmark, Shinwa, Kinex and others.

Scott H

Scott
User
I like my PEC combo squares/double squares (blemished or not.) I am pretty sure they make the Lee Valley 6" double squares, I ordered a PEC blem and the LV at the same time and they look identical except for paint color and a logo. The PEC blem actually works slightly smoother to me. Huge upgrade from stuff like Empire or Irwin combo squares, and the blems are far cheaper than Starrett.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Other than Starrett, only because they are out of my budget, what are some recommends for 4" and 6" combination squares? I have a 12" and 18" from doing more framing type work. Looking for something smaller for more detailed work
A cheap square can cost you more in wasted wood on one project than the difference in price from a quality tool. I have trashed several bargain squares over the years. Do you feel lucky?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have another viewpoint. I think a combination square can be a "heavy iron" type tool that even Harbor Freight can be a reasonable source for. But I'd have to go look at theirs to be sure. I would also compare it's measurements and squareness to known good tools before buying. The advantage they have is you can go look at them and try and find an accurate one. I also worry about whether their markings would be visible after awhile. I forget what brand mine is but it is square and the ruler is accurate and it's markings are engraved deeply so they are still there but it is hard to read in spots due to discoloration of the stainless steel ruler. I am not arguing that any tool from Harbor Freight is comparable to the brands being discussed but they might have one in the bin that is accurate and could do some good work. Or they might not.

I like to use drafting triangles to check for square. Cheap and very accurate.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I find I use the Japanese style more than anything for layout. I also have a 6 inch PEC sliding T ( Taytools blemished) I use a lot as a try, 12 inch combination iGaging, and 5 and 8 inch traditional wood/steel trys I squared. All more than good enough for joinery. I have a reference 8 inch certified engineers square so I know what is what. It stays in the case.

For a sliding combo, be sure the head is STEEL, not the cast crap that goes out of square the third time you slide it. Both my PEC and iGaging are very square. The only one I don't use is an expensive Woodpeckers mini 4 inch thin T full of holes thing-a-ma-bob. For really rough dimensioning and carpentry I have plastic speed squares. Close enough getting lumber inside and they don't get damaged by dropping them. They are not very square.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
A cheap square can cost you more in wasted wood on one project than the difference in price from a quality tool. I have trashed several bargain squares over the years. Do you feel lucky?
Charlie, no doubt. In a lot of things, I often subscribe to the "Buy once. Cry once." theory.

That's mostly related to the quality and longevity of whatever. I believe you should buy the best you can when it comes to many things.

Will a $30 PEC be as square and accurate as a $150 Starrett? Will it be sufficient for occasional use?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Will a $30 PEC be as square and accurate as a $150 Starrett? Will it be sufficient for occasional use?
The PEC 6" is perfect for woodworking because it is plenty accurate and cheap enough that a damaging trip off the bench won't put you out that much for a replacement if need be.. That's the brand I use for woodworking although I have two Starretts and a Brown and Sharp for machine shop work. I've also got a cheapie empire in the wood turning area and have found that it is equally and annoyingly as accurate as my other squares.

My PEC has a screw-in scriber so there's less risk of losing it. My other squares have a friction fit scriber.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Will the PEC last? Yes, it is a steel head, like the Starrett.
Sill a B&S or Starrett last? Sure. about the same as a PEC. All moving parts wear. Design matters, not brand.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
A cheap (or any) combo square can be fine adjusted by filing the little nibs the ruler runs on. Be careful - easy to overdo it. Start with a real cheap aluminum one for practice.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A cheap (or any) combo square can be fine adjusted by filing the little nibs the ruler runs on. Be careful - easy to overdo it. Start with a real cheap aluminum one for practice.
That's an excellent point when considering a second hand squares. Often there's only a little ding in the track that knocks things out of whack.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS