Coffee table prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've just finished the assembly of a prototype for a coffee table. It's turned out pretty well so far, so if I don't screw up the finish too bad, this should end up a nice table. My final will be cherry and padauk - the design requires a number of techniques I've never tried so I didn't want to lay blade to expensive wood without some practice...thus the prototype. I had enough QSWO and walnut leftover from previous projects to get it done. Unfortunately I didn't have any QSWO that was thick enough for the legs, so I had to glue them up. The grain match on the legs isn't great, but good enough for prototyping.

Here is the view from the top. The glass lifts so you can put small items into the display area.

RockyTop-prototype2.jpg

I've used hand tools more on this project than any other, though the heavy lifting was still done by power tools. All surfaces have been scraped - no abrasives were harmed in the construction of this project :> I don't have a router bit to match the profile I wanted for the edge, so it was done with bench and block planes. I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but the edge profile changes gradually from the corner to the glass, so that the glass isn't left hanging out on the end.

One of the most fun parts has been trying to get tight, accurate joinery. The table, as it stands in these pictures, has no metal fasteners AND no glue! 8 pinned bridle joints hold the legs to the stretchers and the tops go onto the stretchers with sliding dovetails. My bridle joints ended up a little too loose to leave this one without glue, but I'm hoping my final product will not need it.

I don't have more pics at the moment...I'll just tease y'all for now and try to get better pics when I build the next one. After I fill the grain on the top this one will be ready for finishing. Then I will dive into the next and hopefully not find any new mistakes to make. And yes, there are quite a few mistakes on the prototype, but I'm getting better at hiding those.:wsmile:

RockyTop-prototype1.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Great job, Chris!

Whatcha gonna use to fill the grain? I've only done it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed.

Was this your design? Nice!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think it would be cool to extend the display area to the sides of the glass. :eusa_thin

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Whatcha gonna use to fill the grain? I've only done it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed.

Don't know, yet. The first (and only) time I've tried, I used a commercial oil-based filler. Those contain silica which dulls my scrapers instantly...and needs to be tinted. I'm experimenting with that, but I'm also trying to fill the pores with sanding dust and danish oil. We'll see how they go. I'll have the same issue on the next iteration, as I believe Padauk has large pores that would benefit from filling as well.

Excellent work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think it would be cool to extend the display area to the sides of the glass. :eusa_thin

Interesting idea. It would certainly add another challenge.

Very interesting design Chris. Can't wait to see pics of the final version. :icon_thum

I can't take credit for the design, only the execution. The designer was kind enough to share his sketches with me. I wish I had the talent to have designed this.

Chris

Last edited:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I like the design. :icon_thum Not something I've come across in any furniture stores.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?...leBase&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Google
I tried some crystalac on some red oak with ok results. It was winter time and in an unheated garage so that might have messed with my results. I have almost a full tub if you want to experiment with it some.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/oem/products/sherwood_natural_filler/
I heard this is a pretty good product too but it seems to only come in gallon sizes which was more than I wanted to spend for experimenting with

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Unique and very well done. Prototypes don't have to be ugly ducklings as your work has demonstrated. :icon_cheers

Pic #2 shows that to be a pretty hefty piece of glass. :icon_scra

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Unique and very well done. Prototypes don't have to be ugly ducklings as your work has demonstrated. :icon_cheers

Pic #2 shows that to be a pretty hefty piece of glass. :icon_scra

Thanks!

The glass is 10 x 42 x 3/8 tempered. Hopefully it will survive my house full of boys. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS