Cocobolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Ok, so some of you know I'm working on some chess pieces - the "light" side being Pink Ivory (like trying to cut iron with a scrollsaw blade) and the "dark" side being Cocobolo. Is it just me or is Cocobolo really that brittle? :icon_scra I have a King, bishop and 4 pawns done and two of the pieces just had a piece fall of them for no real apparent reason. Ok, superglue put the pieces back on but I'm starting to wonder if $60 worth of Cocobolo 1.5 inch turning stock was the right choice for an exotic wood for chessmen. :BangHead:

For those of you who have been planning to go to the Raleigh Woodcraft store for the double skip tooth Olson 9, 10.5 & and 12 tpi blades - sorry, I bought them out on my lunch hour. I'm burning up about 3 blades per chess piece on the pink ivory. :eek: Still trying to figure out the perfect blade for the chessmen. :dontknow:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I've cut some pretty small finials using coco. For some work, I use CA to make sure I don't "lose" any small details. The stuff can be tricky, but generally speaking it should do the job I would think. Of course, all of my experience is from a turning perspective, so take it with a grain of salt (for that matter, that's how you should take any of my advice :lol: ).

Good luck :icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ship that stuff on over to woodartz, he knows the BEST use for cocobola!

Right, Bob?

Eeonk! Eeonk!

Hook

New User
Gregory
No way I'm giving it up - I am just surprised that it would crumble or fall apart so easily after a little time on the scrollsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS