CNC FIRE!!!!

Echd

C
User

I didn't want to overtake the post, but this needs to be seen by anyone with a CNC router that thinks it's ok to "let it run" without keeping an eye on what's going on...this is just 6 minutes into the cut.

NEVER walk away from it!

Maybe, but that job was set up horribly, almost certainly exceeded what he should have been doing with what is probably a downcut bit, looks like it was done on a janky homemade cnc with a trim router (which can and do burn up when cycled beyond what they can handle) and either had substantial bit slip or way too much depth of cut (circling back to "set up horribly"). He also has no means of dust extraction.

The guy doing that made a lot of very bad mistakes, with lower quality equipment, and some of those mistakes were just downright negligent. The first time I used a 1.5" bit to plane a board with a makita trim router led me to buying a spindle that very day, because that thing was hot as a firecracker. It taught me a lesson about not exceeding what a cheap motor should do, and keep your tools in safe limits.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Maybe, but that job was set up horribly, almost certainly exceeded what he should have been doing with what is probably a downcut bit, looks like it was done on a janky homemade cnc with a trim router (which can and do burn up when cycled beyond what they can handle) and either had substantial bit slip or way too much depth of cut (circling back to "set up horribly"). He also has no means of dust extraction.

The guy doing that made a lot of very bad mistakes, with lower quality equipment, and some of those mistakes were just downright negligent. The first time I used a 1.5" bit to plane a board with a makita trim router led me to buying a spindle that very day, because that thing was hot as a firecracker. It taught me a lesson about not exceeding what a cheap motor should do, and keep your tools in safe limits.
I agree totally with your assessment, but this is almost universal with new CNC router users because they want to get into CNC work as cheaply as possible, and aren't really familiar with how to do proper set-ups and which bits to use...and watching a CNC router moving back and forth across apart for what could be hours, is boring.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors