Clearvue install...progress pictures and story

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Hey fernhollowman,
Did you get your pipe from McMaster-Carr? I've found that Lowes in Greensboro has the 6" S&D pipe and fittings. I'm installing my Clear Vue now and I'm ready to get pipe! Does anyone know of another place in Greensboro to get pipe for price comparison? Lowes has 10' for about $26.

M

McRabbet

I am also installing a ClearVue Cyclone. I purchased my 6" S&D pipe from McRey Distributors in Spartanburg, SC (see this thread for the details). I suspect that your Lowes pipe is green, which is ASTM D3034 pipe, commonly known as SDR35 sewer pope. Lowes does not carry (in any store I've ever been to) the White ASTM D2729 sewer & Drain pipe in 6" diameter (they do carry the 4"). As you'll see from the above thread, I also bought several sizes of fittings at about 20% below Lowe's prices. I suggest that you check with major plumbing supply houses (e.g. Ferguson's) or Irrigation suppliers for the D2729 pipe and fittings at more competitive pricing than Lowes or McMaster-Carr.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Hey fernhollowman,
Did you get your pipe from McMaster-Carr? I've found that Lowes in Greensboro has the 6" S&D pipe and fittings. I'm installing my Clear Vue now and I'm ready to get pipe! Does anyone know of another place in Greensboro to get pipe for price comparison? Lowes has 10' for about $26.

Check with your local "John Deere Landscapes" folks. They can get the true D-2729, and I was quoted $1.60/foot, or $16/ stick. They will have to order it from a stocking yard, so you'll have a wait of a few days. Also, if you have a Smith Turf and Irrigation in the Triad area, they can get it for $2/ft. Make darned sure it's D-2729, it's white, and the outside diameter is 6 1/4". Like Rob said, the green stuff is heavy as lead and the S&D fittings WON'T fit.

Keep us advised with pics of your install, and feel free to ask for any advice. We certainly have opinions!

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
thanks for the John Deer tip - it kinda worked...I'll explain. I went there at lunch today. I saw the 6" pipe outside so I knew they had. I went it and said I need 60'. I also asked for a couple wyes. Curious, I asked how much the wyes were: $55! Holy crap! I asked how much the pipe was: $5.35/ft! The guy said since I wasn't a contractor he couldn't give me the wholesale price of $1.48/ft. He then gave me the name of a landscaper that may place the order for me. Before I left the parking lot, I left him a voice mail. But...on the way back to work I took a different route, right past a sign that said "Greensboro Pipe Company - Open to the public." I went in and asked for the pipe and they said they had it...for $1.86/ft! Yippee! I loaded up the truck with 60', 2 45 wyes, 5 45 elbows and 2 22.5 elbows. All for $226. I checked my receipt tonight and noticed the 45 elbows were $8.82 but the 22.5 elbows were $10.77. The 45 wyes were $17.25 each. I'm so excited now! My filters are on their way along with some flex hose. Time to start hanging pipe! Thanks!

M

McRabbet

It pays to shop around, doesn't it! I've been curious about the higher price for the 22-1/2's myself -- I suspect it relates to lower demand than the 45's. Good luck -- enjoy the install and don't forget to take pics along the way! One seemingly minor thing -- be certain that the impeller hub is installed correctly to the 5 HP Leeson shaft. Cap screws go through the clearance holes and thread into the tapped ones in the hub and tighten to 5 Ft-Pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS