Clearvue Cyclone Dust Collector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
One of my quests at the IWF will be comparing dust collection options. Clearvue is one of the cyclones I'm considering but they are not participating in the show.
Does anyone have one of these? Can you share your opinion please?
Thanks!
Mark

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mark, I don't have one, but it is one I would consider if I buying now.

But one of the questions, I had about it was the intake size. If I remember correctly, it is only 6" and yet they put 5HP motor on it.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mark, I don't have one, but it is one I would consider if I buying now.

But one of the questions, I had about it was the intake size. If I remember correctly, it is only 6" and yet they put 5HP motor on it.

Yeah, 5 HP should at least have a 7" inlet if not 8".

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the replies Steve and John! If your main duct feeding the cyclone is 6 inch diameter, why would you want the cyclone inlet wider? Bill Pentz's design seems pretty bullet proof. I will pose this question to Ed Morgano at Clearvue and see what he says.
Mark

Travis

New User
Travis
Mark,

I put the same question about inlet size to pipe diameter to the folks at Oneida and Grizzly recently. The folks at Oneida said it was based on static pressure and I should keep your pipe diameter the same as the inlet size. The folks at grizzly said to do the calculations on the worse case duct run to see if I could get away with the smaller pipe.

I bought a book on dust collection systems which is a great reference. Using the book and the pressure to CFM curve that Grizzly provided I was able to calculate that reducing the 7" inlet to 6" would still give me plenty of CFM for the machines that I am running. Plus I guarantee I saved a bundle of $$$$ running the smaller pipe.

I told the wife the dust collection system would cost X but it came out to be X + $400 because of the pipe. I would hate to see what it would of cost running the 7" pipe. As it was I had to do a few dishes to get back in good graces. My ultimate goal is to get so many tools that when I get a new one she can't tell but that is another story.:lol:

I will be glad to send it to you the book. Just PM me with your address and I will put it in the mail.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Still hoping someone has had experience with the Clearvue cyclone dust collector. Marty (MLB3164) and I plan to stop by Clearvue in Pickens, SC for a quick visit on the way to the IWF. Anyone interested in a group buy?

Response from Ed Morgano, owner of Clearvue re: Cyclone inlet size choice with the Clearvue:

"Our inlet size is really 6" round to a retangular chute measuring 4.5 x 9". That gives more cross sectional area than a 6" (28.324 sq. in.) round. There is a relationship between the intake chute size, the diameter of the cyclone, the size of the discharge pipe and the size of the bottom of the cone and the length of the cone. All of these proportions have been tested and found to be optimal for minium pressure drop and maximum separation efficiency. The inclined retangular chute with a relation of 1/2 diam high x 1/4 diam wide has been proven to be the most effective at reducing turbulance when the air hits the cyclone wall. Less turbulance equals beter separation and less pressure drop."

Ed

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I was going to make one this summer, I was given a great welder for christmas. But I am here and not at home, I still have it on the chopping block for projects to do for the shop. If anyone wants to make one with me when I get back let me know. Be blessed friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS