clear for auto dash

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Short of 2K clearcoat, what would be suggested for dashboard woodwork. Variable humidity, highly variable temperature, and some UV exposure. I guess spar varnish. Any other smarter ideas?
I want a satin finish, so I guess I could knock down the spar with 0000 and then buff it back a little. It should not be the high gloss like a Jag or RR. Triumph did not do that. Oh, it is walnut so UV protection to keep it from turning orange too quickly.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
First, it has no UV protection. Second, I was not wanting to deal with catalyst as I need many layers to build up and fill the grain and get the glass smooth finish for the dash. To mix a really small batch, clean up the gun, wait, sand repeat 4 or 5 times... You look at it from 2 feet away. Spar may be the only option.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Problem with two part is I need about 5 or 6 coats to build enough to fill the walnut grain. Quite an undertaking for about 2 sq ft. But this product does look to be the more durable. I was reading the can of System 3, and they suggested epoxy undercoat as well. Most epoxies have a slight amber tint when cured. Don't want that.

I looked at a bunch of videos of folks redoing them in England. Seems they all just used spar. Guess it is time to shoot the engineers and start production.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
Scott, I used Total Boat Gleam (4 coats gloss and then 2 coats satin as recommended for satin finish) on my new front door. Finished it last Thanksgiving and I have been very please and impressed. It's only been 6 months, but even if I need to do a light scuff and new coat every 2-3 years, I'll be happy (north facing house). This is my new go to finish for outdoor things and I want to redo my QS WO adirondack chair for summer!

mpeele

michael
User
WaterLox marine finish. Use gloss and rub out with 0000 steel wool. WaterLox is the only finish that I know of that is water proof and fresh finish will bond to cured allowing easy repair and refresh.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The "bond to cured" may be a big deal. I'll look into it. Fortunately, I have not used the Gleam yet. Still fixing little imperfections in my venire work.

Can it be built up to fill/cover the grain texture in Walnut? I need a perfectly smooth finish. No indentations for grain. Their WEB is not really clear and the examples do not show that level of thickness.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS