Clear coating for boat trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
A friend has asked me to help refinish some wooden trim on his boat. It is a saltwater rig, and the wood looks to be either teak or mahogany ... I'm not sure. Regardless, these are fairly small and the finish has weathered. I'm not sure what the present finish is - maybe a 2-part finish with an epoxy topcoat?

My thoughts were to sand and/or replace the wood, and go with the Waterlox marine sealer and hi-gloss topcoat.

One question ... do I need to use the Waterlox sealer or could I use several coats of pure tung oil in lieu of the sealer, and use the Waterlox hi-gloss for the final topcoat? Your suggestions are appreciated ...

Ciao ... Dorm

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0202.PNG
    IMG_0202.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0203.PNG
    IMG_0203.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sikkens Cetol Marine - 3 coats after sanding. Wait 24 between coats, no sanding between coats. They have a gloss product for the final finish if desired

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I'm with Phil S on this to a degree. I am a big fan of Waterlox, have been using it for 40 years for interior applications. I have used their marine or exterior product a few times as well, and was not impressed with the durability. If you talk to boat people, especially down here on the coast where I live, the product of choice is Epiphanes Marine Spar Varnish. In my opinion, it is certainly the best product for your application, but the application process as recommended by the manufacturer is lengthy and tedious. I don't think that Sikkens Cetol Marine has been around as long as Epiphanes, but its reputation is growing. I have used it on outdoor furniture in our coastal environment, and its performance is impressive. The application process is somewhat easier, so I certainly would not argue with that choice. In either case, it is not the end of maintenance, as both products recommend a re-coating schedule to keep the finish protective.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS