Cleanup after spraying BIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
I just bought a new spray system (SLIM SP) and am about to spray my first project. This project needs to be painted. I'll use waterborn pigmented paint but first need to prime it.

I am planning on spraying Zinsser BIN and need to make sure I have the proper solvent on hand for a quick cleanup. Zinsser says to use amonia, but that seems...smelly. Searching around I see that alcohol is a possibility. Specifically. does that mean denatured alcohol?

Thanks.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Have not used Zinzer BIN, so can't advise on that. However, ammonia is a strong oxidant, and will corrode any metal parts, as well as deteriorate rubber gaskets, etc. If you need to use the ammonia, flush thoroughly with water afterwards, and then run some alcohol (DNA-denatured alcohol, or IPA- industrial isopropyl) through the system to purge the water. The IPA will remove the water better, and is also one of the EPAs "exempt" solvents (doesn't harm the atmosphere). Note that IPA is the full strength stuff, not the stuff you buy at the drugstore which is already diluted with water.

Go

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
J.C.,

I frequently spray BIN in a dedicated gun. I clean it fairly soon after spraying (typically an hour or less.) I've never used anything but denatured alcohol to clean the gun. I'll spray some alcohol to flush and then disassemble the gun and let the parts sit in more alcohol overnight. I've never had any problems.

I've never used ammonia but if you do, I think it would make sense to flush the gun afterwards with alcohol. I'm no chemist but I don't like the thought of ammonia on aluminum surfaces or gaskets very long (assuming your gun has some aluminum parts in the flow path.)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS