cleaner air again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Some time ago I constructed an air cleaner for the shop using multiple filters and an old furnace blower and 1/2 HP motor. Recently with the sound of screeching metal and the smell of melted bearing shields it quit
.:wsad:Investigation showed that salvage was not realistic. Around the same time WMH tools was offering the double rebate deal and free shipping so not long afterwards a box was left on my back porch :gar-Bi

My shop built unit did have a timer but was single speed. The Jet has 3 speeds, multiple timer options and a remote :eusa_danc The hose visible in the picture is to an outside louvered vent and served as a powered exhaust on my shop built air cleaner. I will be making a seperate exhaust system using this hose to complement the new Jet machine :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Glenn, I am curious about the outside exhaust system. One of the principles of an air cleaner is that it keeps the air in the shop circulating carrying the airborne dust particles around so they can be drawn through the filter. That is why they are often mounted along the long wall not centered. I don't think that there is anything wrong with exhausting it outdoors, but you might not get as efficient cleaning, and you are pumping out the good air from your shop if you keep it climate controlled.

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn, I am curious about the outside exhaust system. One of the principles of an air cleaner is that it keeps the air in the shop circulating carrying the airborne dust particles around so they can be drawn through the filter. That is why they are often mounted along the long wall not centered. I don't think that there is anything wrong with exhausting it outdoors, but you might not get as efficient cleaning, and you are pumping out the good air from your shop if you keep it climate controlled.

Dave:)

The shop built unit had a blastgate on that hose which was only opened when I was doing something particularly noxious e.g. - Lacquer finshing. The exterior vent has self closing louvers. When I install the new exhaust fan it will only be operated for similar smelly operations thus keeping conditioned shop air inside at other times . You are 100% right about placement and circulation, in it's current location the system starts a flow down the north wall and circles somewhat around the shop :wsmile:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Glenn,
I agree with Dave, I have the same Jet unit, and a buddy told me to leave my shop closed up and let the unit move the air around and it is cleaner. I do however have a suggestion for your exhaust tube. I put a cheap bath fan unit in so when I have fumes smelling my shop up and I need an air change. Just a thought, Jim :icon_thum

026715002597md.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn,
I agree with Dave, I have the same Jet unit, and a buddy told me to leave my shop closed up and let the unit move the air around and it is cleaner. I do however have a suggestion for your exhaust tube. I put a cheap bath fan unit in so when I have fumes smelling my shop up and I need an air change. Just a thought, Jim :icon_thum

026715002597md.jpg

On the shop built unit I tapped into the exhaust stream and since that is not an option with the Jet an exhaust fan similar to what you have pictured is exactly what I have planned. :gar-Bi What is that old adage about great minds thinking alike ? :widea: I am going out the shop wall instead of through the insulated ceiling to avoid the inherent problem of moist air going into the attic where condensation would be a concern. :wsmile:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
More ROCKAGE coming from Va.! Did you rob a bank, Glenn?:gar-La;

I have the JDS version of that and my lungs are much happier now with cleaner air to breath. Nice score, buddy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS