Clamp Storage When You Don't Have Much Wall Space

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm in the middle of a lengthy shop reorganization and I needed a better way to store my clamps.

I don't have access to a lot open wall space to use for hanging stuff, and a mobile clamp rack is too much carrying on.

Sometime last year, I had the idea to make a small clamp rack for my 9" f clamps that I could hang from my adjustable metal shelving unit. I couldn't hang more than that at the time because of the general disorder of my shop space, but now I can.

Depending on the rack, they're made from pine, ¾" plywood, and 2x material. The keyholes on the shelves are a perfect fit for ¼"-20 machine screws. The pine backing boards are tapped with MLCS woodworking thread taps, and the plywood backer boards have threaded inserts. I used ¼" dowel locator pins sitting in the keyholes to mark the drilling locations.

Cladding the whole thing in plywood and using French cleats could have been an option, but I like what I ended up with.

PXL_20240601_162610007.jpg
PXL_20240607_154206841.jpg
PXL_20240601_162721275.jpg
PXL_20240601_162503758.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was just saying today that I need to make more clamp hangers. I like the ones I have but need three times as much.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm in the middle of a lengthy shop reorganization and I needed a better way to store my clamps.

I don't have access to a lot open wall space to use for hanging stuff, and a mobile clamp rack is too much carrying on.
..so you sort of made your own wall.

Great idea and I love seeing clamp racks.

I agree that sometimes a mobile cart isn't the best solution for storing clamps.

clamp - 1.jpg

Echd

C
User
I continue to accumulate them so I throw them in places I will trip over them in the hopes that one day it motivates me to actually come up with an adaptable storage solution.

Hasn't worked yet.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Rather than mounting each clamp side by side, I made some heavy duty brackets and stack each size clamp outward from the wall in the slots between the brackets, changing the bracket spacing depending on the type of clamp being stored. There are slots for my Bessy Clamps, but then also slots for pipe clamps. This keeps the wall space required down considerably, but you need a very strong wall. Clamps are heavy.

Charley

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I did something like that with my clamps, I really like how it turned out. Your set up looks really nice!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS