Clamp in a vise

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A clamp in a vise for holding small stuff is old news, but for me, holding drawer assemblies for detailing was a new convenience. The bar of the Bessy box makers clamps is rested on a piece of 1/4" plywood to get the desired clamp jaw height. The soft jaw faces don’t mar the sanded surfaces like iron faces.

I thought I’d pass along this ‘make-do’ holding rig for those of us that don’t have one of those versatile woodworker’s work benches .

1     drawerclampvise - 1.jpg

1     drawerclampvise - 2.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
That's a good tip... I have that versatile woodworkers bench and still do that very thing on a regular basis.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
A clamp in a vise for holding small stuff is old news, but for me, holding drawer assemblies for detailing was a new convenience. The bar of the Bessy box makers clamps is rested on a piece of 1/4" plywood to get the desired clamp jaw height. The soft jaw faces don’t mar the sanded surfaces like iron faces.

I thought I’d pass along this ‘make-do’ holding rig for those of us that don’t have one of those versatile woodworker’s work benches .

View attachment 210308

View attachment 210309
I have a traditional steel shop vise mounted on a plywood platform, with two pieces of laminated 3/4" plywood mounted perpendicular to the mounting platform. When I need to use this vise, it can be clamped in my bench-mounted woodworking. When not needed, the shop vise goes back on the shelf. This arrangement saves me from having to have a shop vise mounted to the top of a workbench.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Yep, gonna steal that idea.
I've got a similar small metalworking vise with a single piece of wood on the bottom and it is a pain to level in the vise. With that T-shaped base, no leveling needed. Thanks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I mounted my Wilton Bullet to a 2 X 6 so it sits on the bench (since I hammer on it quite often) plus it brings it up quite high for filing and cutting (hacksaw, etc.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS