Chisels...new or used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have a set of 4 Marples that do just fine but would like to fill some size gaps and get a few paring chisels. I researched postings here and woodnet and decided the cheapest way would be to buy via ebay. However, I've found that the prices on ebay are outrageously high. I don't know if it is because of the holiday season or if the tools just go for too high a price on ebay. Old beater chisels are going for 15 dollars apiece - sounds crazy to me.

I am now wondering if I should just buy a new set and use the Marples for "beaters". LOML has offered to pick up a set for my Christmas gift.

So there's my choices. Wait until after Christmas hoping the ebay prices decline enough for me to buy used or spend now under the special Christmas offering from LOML. I have been looking at Ashley Iles and Two Cherries based on comments on woodnet. Are there others worth consideration?

Chuck

Monty

New User
Monty
Don't forget about the periodic MWTCA meetings. I have heard of some pretty reasonable deals at those - I hope to attend one of those myself soon!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I hear ya. I bought a mess of el-cheapo chisels on ebay over the past 3 months.

Just held out for a while until messy looking lots came up. Also went in with some friends on larger lots. Reduced my costs and helped others build up their tool warchest.

I was able to average about $1.50/chisel.

I also saved money when one seller was selling individual chisels by getting them to combine shipping.

I'll make a plug for cheaper chisels over the expensive ones. I do find cheap chisels don't hold an edge, but for the few seconds it takes to hone it, do I really need cryogenically heat treated tool steel? Also, the softer carbon steel tools are so much easier to sharpen.

That said, I'd still give my right arm for a nice set of high end tools, but I'm opting to spend that money on wood.

Well, wood and beer. Ok, wood, beer and Twinkies.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm with you on ebay. Some seem to find the deals, me I find nothing. One suggestion someone made is look for misspellings and miscategorized stuff, still, I have purchased one item in 3 years on ebay, and the price was what it was worth, not much of a deal.

One other suggestion might try is to check out flea markets once in a while. Some stuff is "antique", but some things people may consider junk that would fit your bill perfectly.

M

McRabbet

Why not get another and bigger set of Marples? Try here for a tax-free deal on six under $50. I have this set (pre-Irwin) and they do just fine for 95% of the chisel work I do (then I pull out a few specialty chisels like the Sorby and Buck Brothers ones I have).... Of course, this Two-Cherries set is pretty nice, too and eligible for $25 off using the DECOFFER code from Amazon.com

Rob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Chuck,
If you can wait ~1 month you will find a great selection of chisels at the MWTCA meeting in Hillsborough. Ed Hobbs posted an announcement here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6124 w/details and you are welcome to attend as my guest.

Early birds get the worm at the swap and sell session starting ~8am. I have picked up some bargains at these meetings.
Mark

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mark, I believe I have a Boy Scout campout with my son that weekend - I'll check my calendar when I get home. If not, I would like to take you up on the offer. :icon_thum

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I decided to go ahead and ask Santa for this 6 piece Ashley Iles chisel set. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch. Technically, they're a surprise since LOML ordered them! :lol:

Beveled Edge Bench Chisels by Ashley Iles at Tools for Working Wood

I still plan on going to the MWTCA meeting and see if I can pick up a few more chisels. I still don't have any wide chisels or mortising chisels.

I'm going into this in the hopes that I can actually begin producing some joints by hand. Hand cut joints just look so good to me!

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Good choice! I hope she ordered the Narrow set -- you'll fine the 1/8" chisel very handy for smaller dovetails (but there are devilish to sharpen so the tip remaims square to the shaft.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the Xmas chisels!

Still hope you make it to M-WTCA meet. It's impossible not to find a good deal. Go early and find the good deals, then stay late and await unexpected price drops :icon_thum

Roger

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, Those chisels are beautiful and I'm sure you will treasure them for years. My first thought is that they should be on display in your shop when not in your hand.

Regarding eBay prices, it ony takes two determined people to drive a price beyond reality. I have a daughter-in-law who has sold collectable history books on eBay and when two of her regular customers started bidding, she knew she had hit the jackpot. Neither of these guys would yield until the price was absurd.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS