Chisels are NOT for fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Yeah, I believe sharpness is safer. This chisel was an old Marples. My father left me a boat load of chisels to play with too.

cskipper

Cathy
Sorry for your pain. But, for the sake of the book, did you bandage it with
a) masking tape
b) duct tape
c) band-aid or
d) bandage it, why would I bandage it????

woodguy1975

New User
John
cskipper said:
Sorry for your pain. But, for the sake of the book, did you bandage it with
a) masking tape
b) duct tape
c) band-aid or
d) bandage it, why would I bandage it????

CA glue is perfect for sealing up cuts like this. :) That is what I do especially when I need to get back to work. :D

John

chris99z71

New User
Chris
woodguy1975 said:
CA glue is perfect for sealing up cuts like this. :) That is what I do especially when I need to get back to work. :D

John

Cyanide derivatives applied to open wounds...sound medical advice! ...not to say that I haven't done it...

Thetoymaker

New User
John Gilham
Owie. Just before Christmas, during our toy rush, I managed to feed my bandsaw some of my right idex finger. New blade too....I remember thinking how strange it looked with my finger sliced up the middle. Funny thing is, I'm left handed and ALL my woodworking injuries have been to my right hand. (Finger tip cut off--table saw, Middle finger eaten up with the router, and now index finger and bandsaw.)

cmartinson

New User
chad
Well, it coulda been worse. It coulda been me.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm still trying to figure out how not to cut myself with the sides of my chisels after lapping them.:eusa_thin

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I did the same thing Sunday night. I had JUST finished going at a 3/4" chiesl with the scary sharp system and had a brutally sharp edge on it, was messing around with it on a piece of red oak, pushed a little too hard, it slipped, and cut the mess out of my left middle finger. :BangHead:

the good news is that since it was so sharp, it has healed up practically completely, so maybe a sharp blade IS a safer blade ;:slap:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
actually, CA glues were developed for that specific purpose during the VietNam war era.

Last time I need to get my head stitched up, the doctor used some of that stuff (medicine pure) instead of thread.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I wonder which is worse, the active ingredients in CA or the adheasive on the masking, duct, or other tape.

MIke

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Definately the CA glue, mshel. Most tape adhesives are acetate based, similar to vinegar.
The Ocyl-2 part is the key difference between J&J's product and crazy glue. Crazy glue is actually methyl-2-cyanoacrylate. Since methyl is a 1 carbon long chain and octyl is an 8 carbon long chaing, the Ocyl group makes the molecules large enough that the can't be absorbed by the body.
Here's an interesting article: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html
I actually worked at the Kodak research labs and the rumor there is that the inventor was trying to measure the refractive index of his newly synthesized molecule and glued the two (very expensive) prisims together. After getting the machine fixed, he tried it again with the same result. Then his "light bulb" went off, and boom! Eastman 910, the first cyanoacrylate glue was invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS