Charlotte wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
A family member is moving into an apartment and asked if I could build a TV table for them.

I guess I'm going to try to make more than a drawer. :) Oh boy.

They want it to look like this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/249341914/oldfield-low-large-mid-century-style

In the scheme of things, that's not a bad next step attempt.

So far I've only bought wood from Home Dept or Lowe's. I know this is going to be another learning experience, but where are places around Charlotte I can buy wood?

Last edited:

redknife

New User
Chris
To answer your main question, Rick DiNardo at the Woodworking Source is a good resource for you. http://www.themouldingsource.com/about.php. Call first to discuss what you need and when o go. If I recall the tools you have, you'll need to purchase s4s lumber (dimensioned and surfaced 4 of 6 sides). If you have a way to dimension rough lumber then just buy some rough pine 5/4 and 8/4.
That said, the etsy piece appears to me to be a rudimentary Pine box. You could source this at the Home Depot and make quick work of it. Use their common pine boards, 1", edge glued for top and bottom. Dimensional 2x spf for the sides. The Etsy piece is screwed with screws hidden by wood plugs. Pay attention to wrap the piece such that expansion and contraction are in the same direction for top, bottom, sides. You could choose other joinery methods
Finish. Buy the hairpin legs, attach, call it done.

dazart

New User
Steve
Yeah, I don't have a lot of tools yet. Mostly hand tools (router, jigsaw, circular saw), but next Saturday I'll be picking up a table saw and Sunday taking a table saw safety class from Woodcraft. My thought about the Lowe's/HD soft pine stuff is that they're kind of rounded on the edges and they're not square, so I'd have to figure out how to joint and plane them so they fit together?

If I get wood from someplace besides a big box store, could I have that already done? Never been to a store specifically for wood, but I've read/watched that it can be a little overwhelming the first time. :)

redknife

New User
Chris
The majority of lumber yards sell rough cut lumber. The purchaser then dimensions the wood in their shop, many times with a jointer, planer, and talble saw. That's said, many quality lumber sources will make the wood flat (jointer), square (many options). and planed (planer aka thicknesses) to a given thickness. That is called S4S lumber and is done for a charge. If you want to change species, note that you'll need to consider the sag for a different species given the long span http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/. I checked before posting about pine, and 1" pine should be Ok re sag for that span. Call Rick first and talk over your needs - length and thickness of S4S "x" species. You will need to edge glue pieces for the top and bottom as you wouldn't expect to be able to buy the width you need. Super wide pieces are also more apt to cup. In the case of buying s4s wood, he would be taking care of the "joint and plane". You'll have to cut length (cross cut) and width (rip).

As to your other comments, you can use your new table saw to cut off the rounded edges. One of the big advantages of a quality lumber source vs HD/Lowes is lower moisture content. Accordingly, there should be less movement. Quality, variety and price are also better. Note that even if you get perfectly flat wood from Rick, it may twist or bend owing to environmental humidity or the wood's internal stresses.
Good luck

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Which one, I see several models with hairpin legs and they're basically 4 pieces of wood: the top & bottom (maybe 3/4"-1" t) and the sides (standard dimensional 2x4, 2x6, 2x8?).

If your friends want it built on the cheap, then use pine lumber and stain it to their liking. Rick DiNardo (Woodworking Source) is good to work with so check it out. He can S4S (surface 4 sides) for you at a small charge/bf.

dazart

New User
Steve
Yeah, that's why I figure it's something I could do. Not to difficult. I'm not sure what kind of wood they want yet or the dimensions.

I'll find out in a day or so.

kclark

New User
Kevin
As others have already mentioned. GO TO RICK at THE MOULDING SOURCE!!! If you don't have a joiner and/or planer, Rick can help you out there as well. I have only bought a couple of oak pieces from Lowe's since finding Rick. He is a great guy and going to him opens up many new species instead of just pine, red oak and green poplar. I've gotten cedar, white oak, spell, black walnut, hard maple, cherry, etc. and I have gotten them in thicknesses up to 12/4 thick. You can't find this stuff at HD or Lowe's.

If nothing else, go see and talk to Rick that costs you nothing. Just call before you go to make sure he isn't gone on an errand.

POPpop214

New User
larry
Hi Steve, I have lumber [table tops & leaves ] that you can have for free. call me larry 704 604 8263 waxhaw nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS