Charlotte Meetup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Any more thoughts on a Charlotte area meetup soon? Putting it out there again so we don't lose momentum. Honestly, I'd come hang out even if there wasn't a planned demo!

JohnW

New User
John
I backed away from hosting due to some health issues, which have improved somewhat, so I'd be willing to host or attend somewhere else. I could demo the ebonizing technique used to blacken white oak using iron oxide. Just completed a cabinet/coffee bar project using it and very pleased with the results. I'm located in Charlotte, near Monroe Rd, very close to Matthews. A few miles from Woodcraft.

Also I'm kinda jealous of some other areas that have organized meet and greet and eat (lunch). We tried doing breakfast here in Charlotte years ago but it never got off the ground.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I live in the Derita area of Charlotte but would have to participate on a weekend as I work in Lincolnton. My shop is half of a two-car garage which is constantly under going re-organization. I am committed for the 16th of June and the 14th of July but other Saturdays are open for me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What about a/ some shop crawl (s)?

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I would love to get together with woodworkers in the area. I am a little far (50 miles) from Charlotte to host but would not bat an eye at driving up.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don’t mind driving to give a Scroll Saw class anywhere I am wanted.

POPpop214

New User
larry
I would love to come to a Charlotte meet up. I am in Waxhaw. let me know where and when. thanks poppop214

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I could demo the ebonizing technique used to blacken white oak using iron oxide. Just completed a cabinet/coffee bar project using it and very pleased with the results. I'm located in Charlotte, near Monroe Rd, very close to Matthews. A few miles from Woodcraft.

I think this would be a great first meetup. What would be your availability? Looks like Raymond and I both have conflicts the first 2 weekends in July. How about a Saturday in late July (21st or 28th?). Or do it sooner in late June?

We could do a potluck style lunch so the host doesn't have to prepare everything on top of a demo.

I don’t mind driving to give a Scroll Saw class anywhere I am wanted.
I think this would be great. Maybe we can set something up later this year after we get this first meeting rolling.

NTCook

New User
Nick
Any more thoughts on a Charlotte area meetup soon? Putting it out there again so we don't lose momentum. Honestly, I'd come hang out even if there wasn't a planned demo!

I gave up a couple months ago when I got only 2-3 responses to my post. Maybe people were just burned out from the holidays, but you know I'm always willing to go to a meetup. I can't host again just yet... there's a 16 foot boat under construction in my shop!:no:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I gave up a couple months ago when I got only 2-3 responses to my post. Maybe people were just burned out from the holidays, but you know I'm always willing to go to a meetup. I can't host again just yet... there's a 16 foot boat under construction in my shop!:no:
See, we should schedule some shop crawls! (I would love to see that boat!)

JohnW

New User
John
I'd love to get a shop crawl going around here. I enjoy demo's but also benefit from seeing other shops, big and small. Lots of ideas come from seeing how others have done things and organized their shops.

As far as a date, looking at June and July, I can host Saturday June 30 or any Saturday in July. That could be a short ebonizing demo or as part of a crawl.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Having never done a shop crawl, what typically goes on? Quick tour of each shop and then on to the next? Bite to eat somewhere in between? My only concern would be the amount of time - our shops are definitely spread out across the Charlotte area.

I wouldn't mind being a stop on the crawl - especially if you want to see a small shop! Mike (mquan01) lives in the neighborhood across from me, and George (LB75) is about 20 minutes away in Concord.

June 30th would be great, if there are no other objections or conflicts. I'd rather get the ball rolling sooner than later. I think everyone that came to the 2 meetups last year had fun and got a lot of great information from the demos.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I live in the Derita area of North Charlotte and would participate in the shop crawl on the 30th of June. This is just off Exit 40 of I-85 (near the intersection of Sugar Creek Rd and Mallard Creek Rd.).

NTCook

New User
Nick
June 30th works for me. I may have to cut out early if I have to go into work late that night, but should still be able to spend a fair amount of time with everyone.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having never done a shop crawl, what typically goes on? Quick tour of each shop and then on to the next? Bite to eat somewhere in between? My only concern would be the amount of time - our shops are definitely spread out across the Charlotte area.

I wouldn't mind being a stop on the crawl - especially if you want to see a small shop! Mike (mquan01) lives in the neighborhood across from me, and George (LB75) is about 20 minutes away in Concord.

June 30th would be great, if there are no other objections or conflicts. I'd rather get the ball rolling sooner than later. I think everyone that came to the 2 meetups last year had fun and got a lot of great information from the demos.

James,
That is exactly the idea - visit shops (large or small) to see how people do what they do. if you, Mike and George are willing - that is great!
With that for a start, maybe other people will chime in nearby...
Then find a lunch spot, and schedule that in-line with the travel...

Thank you for taking the lead!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I guess our next move is to start a thread for a Charlotte Shop Crawl on June 30th; get all those who want to sign up, gather addresses and plot a route start-to-finish with a pause enroute for lunch.

James (beloitdavisja), do you want to head this up for this next step?

So far we have you, me, JohnW, popPop214, NTCook - I think popPop214 and NTCook might just take the tour as their shops are a good distance from northeastern area of Charlotte. But we can see who really wants to participate and go from there.

urshurak776

New User
Todd
I am in Indian Trail, near Matthews. Pretty close to JohnW. I got to see Raymond's shop and spend part of the day with him. I had a blast and really appreciated it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors