Charlotte Area Hotel Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
As usual I am planning at the last minute!

LOML has agreed to attend the show and look at Minimax, Laguna bandsaws, etc with me. We will travel Friday afternoon and stay over Friday night.

Can any of the locals recommend a hotel? I am not sure where to start looking.

I'll likely have to wine/dine her Friday evening so any restaurant recommendation (casual dress...jeans) would also be appreciated. Maybe steak or steak/seafood?

Thanks,

Chuck

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
There are a good number of hotels in uptown Charlotte, which is only about 5 or 6 miles from the Merchandise Mart, where the woodworking show is.

There is also a Ramada Inn located across the street from the show.

If you choose to stay uptown, your restaurant choices are virtually endless. If you want to buy her a primo dinner, you could choose Morton's (but the available cash you'll have for the bandsaw purchase will be around $200 less if you choose a nice bottle of wine).

Other good uptown options include Capital Grille, La Vecchia's, McIntosh's Steak and Seafood, etc.

A great website for you is http://charlotte.citysearch.com.

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'm surprised to see that Laguna and MM are going to be there. They haven't been in the past. I had to check the floorplan for myself. Good deal.

John

cpowell said:
As usual I am planning at the last minute!

LOML has agreed to attend the show and look at Minimax, Laguna bandsaws, etc with me. We will travel Friday afternoon and stay over Friday night.

Can any of the locals recommend a hotel? I am not sure where to start looking.

I'll likely have to wine/dine her Friday evening so any restaurant recommendation (casual dress...jeans) would also be appreciated. Maybe steak or steak/seafood?

Thanks,

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
John, you made my heart skip a beat!!

Laguna and Minimax will NOT be at the Greensboro show, however they will both be at Charlotte. :eusa_clap I called both to confirm.

My wife would have been SO disappointed if she didn't get the chance to view these fine machines. I'm pitching it as a late Valentine's Day gift for her!! Of course, she doesn't use the jointer, Unisaw or bass boat I've bought her in years past. Maybe this will be "The One".

Chuck

woodguy1975

New User
John
While in the area if you really want to play with a MM you are welcome to stop by my shop in Hickory and take my MM16 for a test drive.

I actually originally responded to you post to tell you they wouldnt' be at charlotte due my experience from previous years. I was shocked when I check out the floor plan and saw MM. That is a great thing.

See ya there.

John

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Chuck,
Not sure of your budget or your wife's plans for the day on Saturday but there is a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Wingate Inn and Springhill Suites (Marriott) at the Speedway Blvd. exit #49 on I-85 at Concord Mills mall. It's a ~20min drive to the Merchandise Mart (on Saturday morning) from there and some of the hotels have shuttles to/from the mall. Loads of moderately priced, casual resturants within .5 mile of the hotels (our favorites are Carabba's (Italian), Texas Steakhouse and Razzoos (Cajun) . This area is very safe.

Mark

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Sweetgum said:
There are a good number of hotels in uptown Charlotte, which is only about 5 or 6 miles from the Merchandise Mart, where the woodworking show is.

There is also a Ramada Inn located across the street from the show.

A great website for you is http://charlotte.citysearch.com.

I called the Ramada Inn last night since that is where I normally stay but they are booked solid for Friday night.

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
You might want to try the Day's Inn chain. I was looking for a night in Savannah in March and they had one for $42. I believe it's a sale they've got going on now.

In fact, I just checked and the Day's inn near the airport has this same deal. I'm not endorsing this particular hotel as I've never been there, but it's certainly a low price option and it appears that they have vacancies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I agree with Tarhead. I live in the area, and personally would not stay at the Ramada Inn accross the street from the show. Its not that Great of an area. The Concord Mills area is pretty nice and a great place to be. Other than that you could go down around Tyvola Rd. Exit 5 on I-77 would be fine, or up in Huntersville. All of the options put you about 10-15 miles out.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
chris99z71 said:
You might want to try the Day's Inn chain. I was looking for a night in Savannah in March and they had one for $42. I believe it's a sale they've got going on now.

In fact, I just checked and the Day's inn near the airport has this same deal. I'm not endorsing this particular hotel as I've never been there, but it's certainly a low price option and it appears that they have vacancies.

I would avoid that area and the rest of the I-85 corridor between Sugar Creek and Little Rock without ballistic glass and 2 flak jackets.
There is a reason it's so cheap. :eusa_naug

cpowell

New User
Chuck
At potential great risk to my wallet due to acute Woodguy disease, I have taken up John's offer to test drive the MM16 at his shop Friday evening and may stay over in Hickory to avoid having to navigate the Big City of Charlotte at night (remember, I'm from Rocky Mount).

If we decide to drive on to Charlotte I will likely book something at the Exit 49/Speedway Blvd and eat at one of the nearby restaurants. I am trying to be strike a balance between saving my money for tools (Yes!!) and wining and dining the CFO. After all, the CFO must approve all capital appropriations.

Thanks All!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS