MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
IMG_2379.jpeg
IMG_2378.jpeg

ednl

ed
Senior User
Great job Mark. All's well that ends well. No one would ever imagine the amount of work that went into making that knife holder!

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Where/how did you hide the magnets?
Hi there. I bought the magnets at Klingspore’s. The original plan was to have the maple rub to the top of the board. Ran into issues with
Where/how did you hide the magnets?
The original plan was to re-saw the maple and embed the magnets within. After discovering I don't re-saw well, I turned to ed (ednl) for help. On the third try, we successfully re-sawed the maple... but it didn't leave me with the depth that I needed for the magnets. So... the end design now has black walnut at the top. I re-sawed the walnut, purchased round rare-earth magnets from Klingspore, used forester bits to bore pockets to walnut (to about 3/16" from the outer surface, and reglued them together. Not graceful and I wasted some beautiful maple.

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
What magnets did you use and how thick is the wood veneer over them?
1" round rare-earths -- they're 3/16" from the outiside surface on both the front and the back. Had to make sure I aligned the magnets so that they didn't repel the front from the back. Had to use small pieces of week to keep them embedded and close to the outside surface.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors