Changing Jointer Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeF

New User
Mike
I have a small Delta benchtop jointer and it was time to change the knives. Unfortunately, one of the allen bolts is stripped. I have tried multiple allen wrenches with no luck.

Would appreciate your thoughts/experience on the best method for releasing the bolt.

Thanks,

-mike

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is it the hex socket that's stripped? If so, I'd try to find a Torx tip that is the next size up & perhaps drive it into the socket & turn it. Driving a pin punch into the socket base may also put enough inpact on the threads to help release them if they're partially seized. This is an old trick I've seen used on big bolts to get them tighter by hitting them with a ball pein hammer dead on and retightening.
Don't forget the penetrating oil.

Another option if drilling out is to get some left handed drill bits. They make drilling out a bolt or screw much easier. Just remember - they're left handed.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you can't get a hold of the outside of the screw with some Channel Lock pliers or Vice-grips, then you next course of action might be an Easy-out screw extractor http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Out-Screw-Extractor-Set/dp/B0002SDAIY
If you try this please use a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster to help free up the screw. Screw extractors work well, but if they break off in the screw, there ain't no drilling them out:BangHead:

Dave:)

MikeF

New User
Mike
Is it the hex socket that's stripped?

Dennis, It's the bolt that is stripped. They are on so tight that they spark when they first release. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it was the same way with my planer knives (Delta Planer as well)

I'll try and use an extractor with lubricant. I'm afraid to start pounding on the bolt head for fear of throwing the spindle out of alignment.

Thanks Dennis and Dave for the advice.

-mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS