Changes in Admin and mods expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Please read carefully. What is written below could have a very major impact on our board. Also, this has been written as though this is the way I will go. That is not necessarily so. I present it as one approach. I would really like for everybody to chime in with their ideas, objections and opinions.

Proposed said:
I have been thinking about this for awhile, but have resisted making the change.

As some of you may know I have been ill for about 3 months. Nothing dangerous, but at times incapacitating, either from the symptoms or the side effects to the medications. It is possible that this will continue for a while. That means I have not and will not be monitoring the site as often and perhaps not at all for longish periods of time.

You may have already noticed that I rarely post or even read most of the forums. I have focused mostly on problems, etc. and some improvements.

Despite my above explanation, the changes I am about to propose are changes that are necessary anyway. I have already noticed that our responsiveness is slipping.

We all assume that the reasons for this site great reputation is our attitude, both by members and staff. Well, while that is true, it is not the only reason. Another major reason, is "Customer Service". We have been very responsive to customer needs, requests, etc. But we are not good as we used to be.

When I setup these roles of admin, Mods, etc., I basically said that when you had time and the inclination, to please help. My intent was a no pressure environment for you.

Well, I'm sorry to say. that needs to change. So I am going to detail in the next post what my expectations and needs are. I suspect that a lot , if not most, of you will not be able or will not want to continue in your current roles. Please understand that will not reduce your importance to the site. Everything you have done and everything you will do, will be properly appreciated. I certainly will not think less of you or harbor any negative feelings. I also sincerely hope that you will not think less of me or of the site because of these new requirements.

I would ask that each of you send me a PM stating whether you wish to continue as a staff member or not and if you want to continue, in which of the roles.

The following is also a suggestion as to how we might divide up the various roles and what is expected of each role.

Proposed said:
Note: Many of the positions mentioned below will require special knowledge and skills. Does a person have to have the knowledge and skills already to take up a position. The answer is NO, just a willingness to learn and jump in, make mistakes and figure out to fix them. That's how I did it. Certainly, a high degree of computer literacy will be an advantage. As will pass experience running a site or forums before.

General:

Each staff member will be expected to visit the site at least 3 to 4 times a week and perform the duties of their roles as their highest priority. Does this mean that people can not go on vacation, get sick, travel for work, just take a break, etc? Of course not, but when an absence is planned, just let us know in advance if you can, so someone can cover for you.

Forum Moderators:

Each discussion forum should have at least one moderator, if not two. Each moderator should probably cover 2 forums. If possible, one of the moderators, should be well versed on the subject, so that they may provide a reasonably correct response to the subject matter.

Each post must be read for appropriateness. Threads should be moved when they are posted in the wrong forum. Threads should be split when they go too far off topic. Threads should be stuck or closed when appropriate.

Senior Moderators:

Functions as Moderator at large. Oversees all moderation policy on the site. Provides direction for all other forum moderators.

Special Moderators:

Download Library Moderator - Responsible for all aspects of the library, moderating and approval or disapproval of all uploads. Organization and modifications updating to new software when appropriate.

Link Library Moderator - Same concept as Download Library Moderator.

Special Purpose Administrators:

Photo Gallery Administrator - Responsible for the Photo Gallery Software and in particular the Admin panel for it. Any of the new Photo Gallery software under consideration has separate admin software that is not integrated with VBulletin's Admincp.

Administrators:
Has full access to Admincp and knows how to do EVERYTHING related to vBulletin and the front end (currently vBadvanced CMPS). Knows the template systems and can make changes to individual templates. Know usergroups, permissions,forum admin, and plugin system among others. Can fill in for any other role.

Webmaster(s):
That's me and I hope one other. Overall control of the site. Has access to cpanel, Database (phpmyadmin) has and provides FTP access when necessary. Understands PHP parameters and tuning. Understands Apache and its tuning. Has limited shell access to system.. Etc, etc.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
cskipper said:
That all seems reasonable. The forum moderator's pretty much the same, isn't it?
Yes, except for three areas.

1 The expectation of more frequent visits.
2.The expectation that one of the moderators be more experienced in the technical aspects of the topic.
3. That moderators be more diligent in the move, split, merge aspects.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
chris99z71 said:
Steve, IMHO those are reasonable expectations.
Perhaps reasonable, but getting people to really learn the various administrator's functions, could be a lot of work and I doubt very many members really want to do the job, I would like.:-(

Monty

New User
Monty
Steve - first of all, sorry to hear about your health problems. If there is anything I can do to help you personally please do not hesitate to ask (I know a thing or two about health problems ;-) ).

Second, with regard to the admin/mod functions, I think most if not all of us will be happy to step up. I know that I, for one, have been poking around the AdminCP a lot more, trying to figure out how it all works. I am starting to understand more, and I'm sure I will be able to provide more help as my own understanding improves. I need to learn about the templates and how you do all that stuff - I have recently been making an effort to do so.

I'm not sure if the "proposed" posts are intended to go in the Webmaster announcement section or not - certainly that is up to you.

Monty

New User
Monty
By the way, something else I've been meaning to offer. Best I can tell, you don't have any help over on www.woodworking-galleries.org. I hardly ever go there, but I'd be willing to help out there also. I'm sure there is a way for service requests to be emailed...?

Monty

New User
Monty
hmmm.... egghead.... rotten egg.... but "good egg"?!?!? Nope, never been called THAT before! :lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Monty said:
By the way, something else I've been meaning to offer. Best I can tell, you don't have any help over on www.woodworking-galleries.org. I hardly ever go there, but I'd be willing to help out there also. I'm sure there is a way for service requests to be emailed...?

Woodworking-galleries.org seems to be a non-issue. If you notice there aren't even requests for help. I think there may only be 5 - 10 people who are even using it:eusa_thin

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Monty said:
...I'm not sure if the "proposed" posts are intended to go in the Webmaster announcement section or not - certainly that is up to you.
Proposed means proposed to the current staff.
If the group's feedback is mostly positive about expectations, then I will post something there to get more recruits, if necessary. Or it just may be a description of the new organization and who is filling what roles or some combination.

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea I have been to those sites, but you can't see any code unless you have a license. That's OK, I'll have one soon.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, I hope you're feeling better and the new med regimen works out for you.

As for your proposal, as previously stated I think it all sounds very fair and reasonable. You did a good job of defining each of the roles more clearly. I will poke around the 4 sites you listed above to see if I can become better versed in some of the additional areas you need help in. Hopefully at least one of these sites won't give me the proverbial "hog looking at a wristwatch" feeling deep down inside.:lol:

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, you know that I am on board and willing to do all that I can. I have been trying things out in admincp, and I think that I am comfortable with almost all the functions. I also has picked up an additional forum for moderation...Wood, I know a few things about that :-D
Let me know what you need from me and consider it done.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very sorry to hear about your health. Sincerely hope it improves.

I am willing to do whatever you or others see fit and will help out as much as I can.

I would love to see/have a test site to play with. I am VERY fearful of doing something wrong, maybe at times paranoid.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Monty said:
Yea I have been to those sites, but you can't see any code unless you have a license. That's OK, I'll have one soon.

The following is what I get:

You are currently showing up as unlicensed. To download hacks and get support you will need to go to this(or this for vBulletin-germany users) page and enter your email address, to show you are licensed. (you will need to use your customer number and password to access that page). If you are not the license owner, you have to ask the owner to add your email addy into that field for you. For further info, please read our FAQ page.

Steve or Monty, can you work your magic for us?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
NCPete said:
The following is what I get:

You are currently showing up as unlicensed. To download hacks and get support you will need to go to this(or this for vBulletin-germany users) page and enter your email address, to show you are licensed. (you will need to use your customer number and password to access that page). If you are not the license owner, you have to ask the owner to add your email addy into that field for you. For further info, please read our FAQ page.

Steve or Monty, can you work your magic for us?
No, they are very strict about that. But you can get to look at the code by simply FTPing it from the test site or this site. You can register at vbulletion.com and read the posts and ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS