Chainsaw Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Hi All, I have a few chainsaw questions that I am hoping you can help with.

I have a 14" electric that works OK for small-medium sized stuff. I several trees that my wife wants removed, and I am wondering if I should upgrade to a gas model.

Are gas ones any better, or should I stick with the electric? Would an 18" one be more powerful, or is it simply longer?

Thanks!

-jamie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stihl is the brand I swear by. I use them professionally and count on their reliability. Generally speaking a saw with a longer bar is gonna have more power to turn the chain, but that is not always true. You need to check on the cc of the engine to determine if it is more powerful. I've found that a 16-18" bar is long enough to handle any take down you might need. There aren't many trees out there these day with a trunk dia. greater than 3'.
HTH,
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
How large are the trees? An electric chainsaw is fine for cutting firewood or even maybe trimming small limbs. Dropping trees is another ball game if they are of any size. If the tree is big enough to hurt you if it falls on you, you do not want to have an electrical cord anywhere in your way when you are dropping it.

The first rule when cutting down trees (whether with ax, crosscut saw or chainsaw) is to have two clear escape routes in case the tree decides it is not going to fall where you planned it.

JMTCW

Go

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'll second the recommendation for Stihl. I've had my 14" saw for 12 years. I use it only occasionally for cleanup and pruning on my own property, but every time I pull it out, it starts and runs great. I think this year is the first time I've even cleaned the spark plug! I recently traded in my Echo leaf blower for a Stihl...I'm hoping for a repeat performance.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
How large are the trees? An electric chainsaw is fine for cutting firewood or even maybe trimming small limbs. Dropping trees is another ball game if they are of any size. If the tree is big enough to hurt you if it falls on you, you do not want to have an electrical cord anywhere in your way when you are dropping it.

The first rule when cutting down trees (whether with ax, crosscut saw or chainsaw) is to have two clear escape routes in case the tree decides it is not going to fall where you planned it.

JMTCW

Go

A couple are as big as 12" at the very base. I have been looking at the stihls online, but of course most of the dealers are closed today (I will call the one that is open, at least).

How does Husqvarna compare? They have those at lowes...

ps- thanks for the words of wisdom.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My husband has owned different brands of chain saws through the years. He now owns Stihl. This is a case of buy the best to begin with. You will only wish you did. You do NOT want to play around with chain saws. They are too dangerous. Buy something you can count on every time you use it.
That means buy a Stihl and be done! Stay safe.

Berta

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jamie, the advantage of electric chainsaws is that they require less maintenance. The disadvantage is that they are not portable and have limited horsepower options.

If you upgrade to a gas saw, one thing to keep in mind is that the fuel/oil mix loses it's lubricating quantitites after it's been mixed for about 30 days, and you need to discard it and mix fresh, else you risk damaging your saw (don't me how I know this!).

Stihl and Husqvarna are both great brands, as is Dolmar, Makita and Echo. Stihl's advantage locally is it's extensive dealer network. The typical advice is that you want to purchase a saw that has a good local dealer support system.

Stihl and Husky both make consumer and professional grade saws. I'm not sure about the Husky's, but the quick and easy method of discerning between the two Stihl versions is to look at the color of their handles. If the saw is orange with a white handle, it is a professional model. If it is all orange, it is a consumer model.

If your electric saw is meeting your needs, rather than upgrading to a gas model you may want to invest in some additional chains for your existing saw.

When you buy a saw, you want a balance between power, weight, and bar size. The more power, the better, but not if you get a backache handling the saw.

You can usually rent saws from rental centers. If you only need to remove a few trees, that may be a more cost effective solution.

I personally use Stilh saws, and have 023, 029, 044 and 066 Magnums models. Two of the four were purchased used, and they have provided great service. Overall I have been very pleased with them.

Glennbear

Glenn
For a number of years I made do with a small electric saw. Several weeks ago I bought an 18" gas Craftsman. It lasted for one session and then refused to start. When I returned it the manager of the local store said a lot were coming back mostly for problems with the "tool free" chain adjuster. :wsad:
I then bought a 16" Husqvarna at Tractor Supply and have been pleased with it including usage in tornado clean up on my recent trip to AL. :wsmile:

Last edited:

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Ended up picking up a Stihl 250 (18") from Ace Hardware in Waxhaw.

I felt like I was putting a hot knife through butter!

Thanks for the advice. Pulled down two before the clock said it was time to quit. Several more to go, but it is MUCH easier than it was with the electric.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Jamie,
run mid grade gas in that new stihl.It will run better and cooler.
Greg

17 year old Husky Model 51-18"
1 year old Stihl MS360-24"

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
+1 on what Scott said about old oil/gas mixture.

Since all my chainsaws saws are now in Southern IL we have been running E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) and 1 1/2 times the amount of 2-cycle oil. I like for a chainsaw to smoke a little out of the exaust when the throttle is wide open. Just remember the oil thats mixed in with the fuel is the only oil a chainsaw engine gets. I think it's better to use a high octane fuel and more oil than low octane gas and less oil.

cpw

New User
Charles
A couple are as big as 12" at the very base. I have been looking at the stihls online, but of course most of the dealers are closed today (I will call the one that is open, at least).

How does Husqvarna compare? They have those at lowes...

ps- thanks for the words of wisdom.

Jamie,

I've never used an electric so I don't know about the power factor, but if your largest trees are only 12" and you have a 14" bar, I think I'd save the dough and slap a fresh chain on the electric and go to cuttin'. Honestly, a good chainsaw is an investment, so unless you foresee doing a lot of cutting I'd go with what I had or go rental.

However, if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, I can tell you that I bought a Stihl MS290 "Farm Boss" 20" to replace my Poulan Pro 20" and I couldn't be happier. I needed to remove some pines along our drive, and I started the job with the Poulan, but it had a problem restarting, so I got fed up and got the Stihl. The rest of the job has gone much faster - only three more to go (high wind delays). It's more powerful and a better design, both for cutting and serviceability. Plus, I dropped three maples for a neighbor and got 2 1/2 cords of firewood out of it.

My 2 cents,
Charles

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Second the good call on the '250 - I think you will find it quite adequate to your needs and a pleasure to use and maintain.

I have had an MS290 Farm Boss for 3 or 4 years now and do alot of work with it especially in the spring. It does double duty as a regular chainsaw and the power head is used to power my portable Ripsaw bandmill. I've never had a lick of problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS