Chain saw Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm in the market for a Chain saw grinder. Mostly I use a dremal to sharpen my chains, but that means swapping through the 3 or 4 chains I keep on hand and mounting them on the chain saw. Would like to be able to sharpen off the saw.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Oregan 511AX, read the reviews, wondering if anyone has any personal experience.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I do not. I find I can sharpen the chain quicker with a file with a simple guide on it than I can take it off for sharpening. If I stop when the chain starts to dust, I can sharpen it with a few strokes per tooth. Grinders seem unnecessary.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, I have a 511A which you are welcome to stop by and try out. I've been very pleased with it.

Scott

Rob

New User
Rob
Scott, I'll take you up on that, if nothing else the lessons on using it would be great. I've got the chain in mind also.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i don't exactly see how this contraption would work but i saw it advertised over the weekend.

http://powersharp.com/

i personally don't think it's a tough task to sharpen a blade with a file, but i don't do it often and i've been doing it since i was 4. i thought it was the grandest thing to get to sharpen papaw's chainsaw. he sure didn't mind passing the task along after the saw had cooled of course.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I dont have it but my step dad has it. He bought his from norther tool in G-boro. I think he only gave about $100 for it. I usually use a file for about 10 sharpening and take them to him for a good sharpening after that. He might see my chains once a year.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, I'll take you up on that, if nothing else the lessons on using it would be great. I've got the chain in mind also.

Rob, I mispoke - I have the Precision Tooling Speed Sharp that is made in Italy. Basically it's an Italian version of the Oregon and a very high quality grinder that is sold by professional logging and arborist suppliers.

You're still welcome to stop by and use it though.

SS

Rob

New User
Rob
Thanks Scott, from my reading it's the same as the 511A. I'll give you a call when I can come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors